walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knock Old Man

Knock Old Man

Postby Rodhumphreys » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:13 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Knock Fell

Date walked: 04/01/2022

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 686m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Knock Fell from Dufton (1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The plan on this bright winter morning was to follow the Pennine Way along the ridge through to Cross Fell with the possibility of an ambitious circular over Round Hilll. However, today was going to be a perfect example of how plans made in sunny lowlands may well require some significant adjustment above 1500 feet.

The start of the walk from Dufton, along the Pennine Way, became a rather muddy farm track with a full blown stream cascading happily down the path. Once out of the farmland and on to the Fell this became a fine walk on a good ascending path over Green Fell. However, the clouds were down on the Fell above 600 metres and the ground snow, although not deep, became quite icy. As I approached the top the northerly wind became rather more pointed and the fine sunshine was replaced by thick cloud at 500 metres. I realised that there was little in the way of fun, interest or inspiration to be gained from carrying on for too long in these conditions so I decided on a very simple alternative. I battled on against the wind from the top and across Knock Fell to the point where the Pennine Way meets the radar station access road and then turned south west, following the snow and ice covered road down towards Knock. As the moorland cloud dispersed the views of the Lake District to the west were stunning. There are opportunities on the route down to break off on footpaths to Dufton, but I was enjoying the walk so I stayed with the very quiet roads.

This was the second time within a month that I had changed my route plans at the top of the first hill of the day. On both occasions it was the strength of the bitingly cold northerly wind on exposed high ground which persuaded me that there was sense in taking the first available descent to a warmer place! Cross Fell and Round Hill can wait for a summer's day, but this was a most enjoyable shorter circuit.
Knock Old Man.jpg
Knock Fell Trig

Down from Knock old man.jpg
Looking west towards the Lakes
Last edited by Rodhumphreys on Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

Re: Knock Old Man

Postby tamego » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Your story and photos make me think about having a trip to England more and more.
tamego
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland