walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bushwacking in the Far West

Bushwacking in the Far West

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caw Fell, Haycock

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock

Date walked: 17/07/2021

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 16.2 km

Ascent: 818m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm so far behind in reports even though I haven't even been out very often :roll: , this one from July 2021....

Those of you who follow my my ramblings on Walkhighlands, both verbal and on foot, will not be surprised that for this outing, walked in mid July, my faithful hound Hughie did not join me. It was forecast a scorcher and it did not disappoint, it would have been way too hot for the little guy, in fact it was way to hot for me! but at least I get to chose. The car park at Bowness was already quite full when I arrived pre-9 and it was obvious that many folk had turned up to have a day by the Lake. I was quickly making my way along the road, past the masses, some of whom had ignored the instructions that no unauthorised vehicles should go beyond the car park, :roll: hopefully they got fined.

A feature of this initial walk over along the road was an attack by Clegs, they don't usually bother me that much but I was constantly pestered and ended up with several bites as a reward. :evil:

Some of you may be wondering why the title for what should have been a relatively straight forward walk up a couple of fells? Well once I crossed Char Dub and Woundell Beck I decided to have a cow induced brain fart. :lol:

Looking down Ennerdale

Morning light through the trees

As I rounded a bend in the path I was confronted with a heard of cows, with some calves. I did not know just how close to the firebreak which is recognised as the way through the forestry, (probably about 50 yards :roll:) Spooked by the livestock I simply turned tail, after all, there is a path shown on the map as part of the Nine Becks Walk, I'll just use that instead I thought. :thumbup:

I have no idea if this part of the path even exists but I do know I couldn't find it :roll: What followed was a hugely unpleasant up hill battle trough the trees, stumbling over logs, getting bitten hundreds of times by heavens knows what and clambering over an unsteady wire fence before finally breaking out onto the main path in a moment that stands along side reaching any of the summits I've visited in terms of sheer relief. None of this idiocy would have been possible if Hughie had been present, I'm sure I'd have just plugged in my brain and found a sensible way of by passing the cows.

Why on earth I'm so nervous of cows I have no idea :crazy: , perhaps it's walking with a dog for so many years but I'd rather dance naked through a whole field of them than repeat slogging my way up through those trees again.

Back on track and a great view!

Heather on Ennerdale Fell

The horrors of the initial ascent behind me I fell into a slow and steady trudge up to the first top of the day, the Birkett of Lingmell. Upon arrival the sight of Steeple with its ridge gracefully ascending to it's tiny summit caused me to consider extending the day. I fought off the urge as I put my sensible head on and considered the temperatures which were hardly conducive to what I was planning, let alone a detour which would add at least an hour.

Views really opening up now

Caw Fell

Steeple and Scoat Fell

Pillar and Steeple from Lingmell

So I fell back into my upward trudge with many stops before finally stopping on Tewit How for a rest and some rations. Surprisingly Tewit How isn't a Birkett, an odd omission considering some of the nonentities that are on the list, but I enjoyed my rest no less for that fact.

Looking back on the way up Tewit How

Back of the High Stile Ridge

Another breather and another photo stop

Steeple from Tewit How

With the temperatures continuing to rise and virtually no breeze it was a case of getting my head down and making steady progress up to the col, another tempting moment when making a break to visit Steeple was a possibility was seen off, before I gratefully clambered over the very unsteady stile only to notice the gate was open just a few yards away :lol:
Boosted by fresh views I made my way up the increasingly stony slopes to Haycock's fine summit. A little explore was followed by picking a spot with views to the Scafells for a most welcome lunch. I wondered about the no doubt heaving summit of the Pike on such a day, not for me, I'll take a deserted Haycock anytime.

Haycock and Little Gowder Crag...again

Little Gowder Crag from a little higher up

Looking back down to Ennerdale from close to the col

Scafell comes into view from the col

Broken Stile, should have used the gate :roll:

Looking back from the final pull up Haycock

The Scafells and Scoat Tarn

Haycock summit shelter

Towards the Scafells from the summit cairn

Lunch stop

towards Black Comb

Another of the Scafells

Not only had the summit been deserted, I hadn't even seen anybody since leaving the Lakeside. That was to change when coming the other way was a woman with a collie dog who was wrapped up as if it was late autumn at least :shock:
I attempted a greeting but it wasn't returned, Oh well, it takes all kinds. Last time I was up here I missed out on Little Gowder Crag, so I put this to rights and ended having to scramble down following a bit of an explore.

The Ennerdale wall

A very empty looking Stockdale

Ahead to Little Gowder Crag

Ennerdale from Little Gowder Crag

The Rim of Mirkiln Cove from Little Gowder Crag

Excitement over with, it was easy going all the way now as I visited Caw Fell, which requires very little re-ascent, before making my way down the easy path that takes you back to the lake side.

Looking back from the way to Caw Fell

Caw Fell Summit Cairn

Looking back the way I've been from Caw Fell

Silvercove Beck

Looking across Ennerdale to High Stile

On the way down

Starling Dodd

So back to the Valley and the short walk back to the car where an originally frozen solid, but still cold bottle of pop was waiting, bliss! :D

Back to the Valley

Crossing Char Dub

Only issue left was getting away from Ennerdale with a stream of cars still attempting to pile into the car park, much reversing and under the breath cursing later I was on my way home and so glad for Air-con.

Haycock and Caw Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Bushwacking in the Far West

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:52 pm

Great report :clap: Despite being an internationally renowned expert in getting lost in the woods, I've yet to have this problem in Ennerdale. I do remember having problems finding the way up to Lingmell though. The 1:25,000 OS map shows a path leading up from a footbridge over Woundell Beck, but I wasn't able to find it. If it does indeed exist, you must have been quite close while bushwacking. What was the descent from Caw Fell like? There are plenty of those silly rights of way without any actual path on the ground in this area (the one going over Iron Crag is especially ridiculous).
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Bushwacking in the Far West

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:18 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Great report :clap: Despite being an internationally renowned expert in getting lost in the woods, I've yet to have this problem in Ennerdale. I do remember having problems finding the way up to Lingmell though. The 1:25,000 OS map shows a path leading up from a footbridge over Woundell Beck, but I wasn't able to find it. If it does indeed exist, you must have been quite close while bushwacking. What was the descent from Caw Fell like? There are plenty of those silly rights of way without any actual path on the ground in this area (the one going over Iron Crag is especially ridiculous).

Many thanks, if I recall correctly, and its now been a while, the lower footbridge over Woundell Beck was perfectly fine. The other two footbridges shown on the 1:25,000 close to where Deep Gill and Silvercove Beck become Woundell Beck were also fine but the Deep Gill footbridge was closed off. Can't remember if this was due to damage or another reason as I was tired and chose not to investigate. I've been down this way from Caw Fell twice without any issue at all. Obviously it's shown as a permissive path so perhaps I've been lucky. It's a good point about the pathless rights of way, just what is the thinking behind them or even the point of them??
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland