walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Wasdale / Mosedale, 5 Wainwrights

North Wasdale / Mosedale, 5 Wainwrights

Postby gld73 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:13 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Haycock, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Steeple

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell

Date walked: 24/03/2022

Time taken: 6.7

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few weeks ago I was in Cumbria and it was such bad weather I barely left the house, let alone got out in the hills. Different story this time, so headed to Wasdale. Cloud stayed well above all the summits, though it was a hazy, washed out colour scheme in reality, not just in the photos - good walking weather though.

Did the walk anti-clockwise starting from Overbeck Bridge parking area, walking up the road to Wasdale Head then the path up to Black Sail Pass and then Pillar, Scoat Fell, out and back to Steeple, longer out and back to Haycock, then Red Pike and back down to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8183.JPG
Walking from Overbeck Bridge to Wasdale Head, Great Gable at the head of the valley

APDC8184.JPG
Starting on the path up the Mosedale valley, Pillar ahead

APDC8185.JPG
Black Sail Pass (path I'd just come up is on the left here, the route up to Pillar is on the right)

APDC8188.JPG
Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Lingmell and the Scafells

APDC8189.JPG
Pillar Summit

APDC8190.JPG
Ennerdale Water

APDC8191.JPG
Scafells on the left, then l-r Yewbarrow, Red Pike and Scoat Fell (ridge of my return route)

APDC8192.JPG
Scoat Fell ahead, descending Pillar

APDC8194.JPG
View down Mosedale to Wasdale Head

APDC8195.JPG
Looking back to Pillar on the way up to Scoat Fell

APDC8196.JPG
Steeple

APDC8197.JPG
Scoat Fell summit

APDC8198.JPG
Pillar, from Steeple summit

APDC8199.JPG
Scoat Fell, from Steeple

APDC8201.JPG
Nice easy grassy descent of Scoat Fell on this side (it was much rockier on the Pillar side), heading to Haycock, just followed the wall all the way

APDC8202.JPG
Haycock summit area, back to Steeple and Scoat Fell

APDC8203.JPG
Scafell Pike and Scafell from Haycock

APDC8204.JPG
Scoat Tarn below Red Pike

APDC8205.JPG
Red Pike summit, looking over to Pillar

APDC8206.JPG
Full length view of the Yewbarrow ridge from the descent of Red Pike (I'd be taking a path along Yewbarrow's base rather than scrambling up it at the end of the long walk)

APDC8207.JPG
Wastwater

APDC8209.JPG
Walk from Dore Head to Overbeck Bridge
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland