walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Calva, Knott and Great Cockup from Peter House Farm

Great Calva, Knott and Great Cockup from Peter House Farm

Postby gld73 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Calva, Great Cockup, Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Calva, Knott

Date walked: 29/03/2022

Time taken: 4.2

Distance: 16.3 km

Ascent: 900m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a few great days of walking this week in Cumbria, but today I was heading back north of the border - though still time to do a small detour to make the most of the weather and grab one last walk when I set off at lunchtime. Have to make the most of being somewhere I can pronounce hill names properly!

It was just meant to be a quick leg stretch to Dash Falls and up Great Calva before going back to the car and continuing my drive ...but then Knott was so close it seemed daft not to add it on. I hadn't planned any return route but on my way to Knott passed a path heading off to the left downhill which looked a good option, so I returned to that point after Knott's summit. It was a scenic descent following a beck downhill, and when I checked the map, saw I'd then be heading along the base of Great Cockup ... no point in being so close and not nipping up that one too! Once at Great Cockup's summit cairn, I was sorely tempted to continue to Meall Fell, but saw sense and decided to leave the remaining Uldale Fells for my next time here.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8335.JPG
Parked in the parking area by Peter House Farm and took the signed lane towards Dash Falls and Skiddaw House which is a tarmac road initially. Lovely and sunny when I started, though clouded over through the walk - stayed dry though :)

APDC8336.JPG
Views of Dash Falls as I continued on up the track. Climbs here to the top of the falls and crosses over to the other side of the beck to continue onwards to Skiddaw House

APDC8339.JPG
View back west to Binsey from where the track crosses the beck at the top of the falls

APDC8340.JPG
Thick, deep heather on the south western slopes of Great Calva - fortunately there's a well trodden path straight up from the track to the summit

APDC8343.JPG
Great Calva summit looking south to Skiddaw

APDC8341.JPG
...and east to Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crags, Mungrisdale Common and Blencathra, all ones I'd done on a walk a few days earlier. Nice to look over to them again from a different viewpoint.

APDC8344.JPG
Visibility was good and Knott looked very close, so another well trodden path took me there

APDC8346.JPG
As I started to head up Knott from the col, 2 jets sped down the valley between Mungrsidale Common and Great Calva. I didn't get them in picture unfortunately, but it did make me realise Mungrisdale Common has some height, despite it feeling like an unspectacularly flat bit of moorland when on it! (Great Calva the pointy top on the right, Mungrsidale Common the rounded dome in the middle of picture)

APDC8347.JPG
Knott summit, view back south to Great Calva and Skiddaw

APDC8349.JPG
Cloudier and showers to the north

APDC8350.JPG
Retracing my steps from Knott summit back down to the col, north end of Bassenthwaite visible

APDC8351.JPG
Took a path down this nice ghyll, the path crossing the beck several times early on before staying on the north side down to the crossing of Burntod ghyll. From there it climbed again. cutting across the southern slopes of Great Cockup.I didn't see a path up to the summit area from this stretch, so I just cut up through the heather which was low enough and spaced out enough to give reasonably easy going. Once I got to the top area where the hill flattened out, I met a clear path coming from the direction of Little Cockup and heading towards the summit.

APDC8352.JPG
Great Cockup summit, looking south to Skiddaw again

APDC8353.JPG
Another worn path through the grass led off to Meal Fell and Great Sca Fell .... on another day I'd have continued on, but today I started to head back to the car

APDC8354.JPG
From the western cairn of Great Cockup, views to Binsey and Over Water

APDC8355.JPG
Another view of Dash Falls from this side of the valley as I headed down the slopes of Little Cockup to meet a bridleway

APDC8356.JPG
Peter House Farm is the white building top centre of this picture. In Scotland with the right to roam I might have taken a direct route to it through fields, but in the Lake District, I decided to stick to the bridleway which then joined the tarmac track seen at the bottom of this photo, which in turn led on to the road which I followed back to Peter House Farm. No point risking upsetting the local farmers unnecesarily!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland