walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ah yes! That's what a good walk feels like

Ah yes! That's what a good walk feels like

Postby snowdonia7 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:00 am

Date walked: 03/04/2022

Time taken: 7.3

Distance: 22.4 km

Ascent: 1609m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It has been almost two years since I had a big day out in the hills, COVID primarily had left Neil and I on 272 munros, and we planned to head back up north over Easter to try and do as many of the remaining 10 as possible it seemed a good idea to test ourselves and get a sense of where our hill fitness is.

Given that in the previous 18 months my activity has largely consisted of walking the dog (albeit in the Clwydian hills) I was a little apprehensive about how my legs would respond to significantly more climbing than they were used to.

We decided on a route that we had done many times before and knew to be a decent workout. Starting in Capel head up past Joe Brown's and follow the broad ridge east towards the Glyderau, then drop down to Pen Y Gwryd cross the road and ascent the long ridge up to Siabod and then descend back to the car.

We started at 08.45 under a wonderful clear sky, although it was still pretty cold so we kept up a good pace to get the blood flowing.

Starting the first climb I was quickly very hot and packed away the outer layers. We maintained a steady pace, stopping briefly to chat to a few as we went - maybe the fact that we were quickly catching those in front of us and leaving them behind should have rang a little alarm bell that the pace was a bit too quick and more suited to our pre-pandemic fitness levels.

We stopped for a snack at the top of Y Foel Goch, after which I had anticipated descending to the Miner's Track, but Neil suggested we push on to Glyder Fawr to make the day a little more like what we would be doing in Scotland.

Off we plodded, and as we arrived at the summit we were met by a light snowfall, but didn't hand around and looped round and descended back to the Miner's Track and followed this down towards the PYG, at which point we had another pit stop and I ate the other half of my sandwich.

We crossed the road and set off on the long pull up towards Siabod in glorious sunshine. As I anticipated this second proper climb of the day, especially after a long descent was more challenging and by the time we reached the summit I could feel my legs were a little bit wobbly.

But it was all downhill from this point on, and just as well as I was all out of fluids and as dry as a very dry thing. We arrived back at the car just under seven and a half hours after setting out. I was pretty beat up, more so than I would have thought for that walk, although I guess in the context of no hill work for two years it was pretty good. Fingers crossed that we can build on this during our week in Scotland and maybe even compleat!
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland