walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Six Walks near Sedbergh

Six Walks near Sedbergh

Postby Sgurr » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:52 am

Date walked: 01/04/2022

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friends we had walked with since 1964 on and off kindly invited me to share a farm cottage near Sedbergh for a week. By Carstairs I was worried that I was to be kidnapped by a hen party en-route for a weekend in Debyshire complete with Drag Queen, but they let me go

Tom had dowloaded several Ramblers' walks onto his phone and we hardly went more than 15 miles away from our cottage. The first day we walked from Orton up to Knott and the memorial to Queen Victoria. This weather was not going to last

Well, perhaps just one more day of good weather, from Ravenstonedale to Smardale and a loop back. The old railway is now a nature reserve, but the signposted red-squirrels never materialised

The next day was greyer, but still no rain. We walked along the canal and then over Farleton Knott Crags, very similar to its neighbour, Hutton Roof Crags which I had done as a Marilyn. It was a bit too near the motorway for the first bit, though I suspect some of the noise came from a quarry

Below, looking north from Farleton Knott Crag

The next day we had a very agricultural walk looping out from our farm cottage (hens and donkeys). The hens had amazing feathery legs, we thought they were Brahmas

We met an alpacca, and then some rather scary cows, which did let us past. Having calves was not a good sign and they had wheeled round to face us aggressively.

Lambs were everywhere. They had just reached the stage where they formed gangs and had jumping maatches. This sheep seemed to be minding the creche.

Tom came face to face with a Llama

Finally, back home were the donkeys

The next day rain was forecast. I even got a BBC Weather Watchers Editor's Pick for the first photo

We did a short circiuit including a wettish lunch
before arriving at Sedbergh

I had never visited the mill before. It had an outstanding display of crafts

The final day we caught a bus to a footbridge over the river about a mile north of the Cross Keys Temperance Inn and walked back on the west side of the road. We reached a place where Tom said we needed to ford the river, but I spotted a bridge nearby. The next time we reached a ford, we looked at the map and saw another footbridge between us and the road. Unfortunately it was no longer there, so we had to remove our socks and wade across.

Below, the intrepid Diana tiptoeing across. I did it far less elegantly, but at least didn't fall in.

Below, in a rare interval from the rain, looking down to the road
Image[

Diana's back tends to go into spasm if she climbs anything to steep, but we managed an average of 7 miles a day, and walking every day, that was enough for me at least. Tom (84) is set for a Pyrenean pilgrimage averaging 15 miles per day through the mountains this June, so here's hoping his damaged achilles tendon continues its rehab. I had a lovely time. Diana had done all the cooking in advance, and I really felt spoiled.

Thank goodness the hen party released me.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Six Walks near Sedbergh

Postby Plug » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:46 pm

Delighted you were able to make the most of the weather and walk each day. Excellent scenery and
plenty to do.
Plug
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland