walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SNOWDON via Watkin Path

SNOWDON via Watkin Path

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 31/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying the fabulous weather :D Yesterday was the last walk before our 24 miler so Alan decided to give us an easy day in the sun :( yes we were on our way at 6.00 am to Snowdonia. This was to be my fourth trip up the hill but from a third different direction, the Watkin Path. We parked up before Beddgelert on the A498 at GR SH 627 506.

Snowdon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This way was not too busy and we were soon at Gladstone Rock, where the Prime Minister gave a speech to 2000 Liberals when he was 82 :o
IMG_1703.jpg
Vew up from Gladstone Rock

Further on we started to get views of Snowdon summit.
IMG_1711.jpg
Some way to go

Nearing the summit we had some superb views towards Llyn Llydaw.
IMG_1712.jpg
Llyn Llydaw

As we looked across we could see the human chain crossing Crib Goch, it was still early so heaven knows what it would be like in the afternoon.
IMG_1715.jpg
Crib Goch

A look to our left showed us the ridge that would be our descent, Bwlch Main and on to Clogwyn Du.
IMG_1718.jpg
Descent route

A look back and our ascent route was plain to see.
IMG_1721.jpg
Ascent route

An already crowded summit but we were there well before midday. The gang are Jane, Bridie, Alan, Lisa, Steve and seated are Seth and yours truly.
IMG_1723.jpg
Summit, Snowdon, 1085m

I have been very fortunate in that each of the four times I have climbed Snowdon the views have been superb, so many get there to see next to nothing.
IMG_1729.jpg
Hi

A look towards the Pyg Track shows how busy it is and how busy the summit will be when the trains get going :(
IMG_1732.jpg
Busy Pyg Track

The next pictures speak for themslves :D
IMG_1734.jpg
Great views
IMG_1737.jpg
Moel Elio
IMG_1738.jpg
Llechog

Well into our descent a look at the waterfall as the Afon Cwm Llan river drops down to Afon Glaslyn.
IMG_1744.jpg
Waterfall

As we got nearer the cars the cool water got too inviting and some of us thought a swim would help us cool off, of course one thing led to another :lol:
IMG_1758.jpg
Playtime

We returned home by way of Betwys-y-coed and that passed where our Seth lived and went to school, so it was a quick stop for one car and a chance to meet Seth's lovely mum. Sadly we did her stock of cakes some damage but she was glad to see us. :lol: He showed us the quaint local church and one of the worlds oldest living things, a 4000 years old Yew tree, this was great for Lisa, our resident treehugger :D
IMG_1766.jpg
Lisa and Yew

Back to the walk, it was an eight miler and a great day out. We are all looking forward to next week and the Three Peaks, hope the weather is good but not quite as hot as today, anyone with any help please feel free to write, thanks Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: SNOWDON via Watkin Path

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun May 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi there Sue
What a cracking good day it was in Snowdonia yesterday. I could have waved to you, I was on Moel Siabod. We could see the crowds ( with Bins) on Snowdon from there. I normally do not go to that area on a day like yesterday but my group had planned to do it for something. We were out early no good pics like you though my daughter forgot to bring my camera back on Friday.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby GarryH » Sun May 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Super photo`s Sue love the pyg track one.Done the Three Peaks but only individually so cannot offer any advice, just
wish you all the best of luck.
GarryH

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Tortoise, yes it was fab, as I said it was quieter our way but the sun certainly brings out the folk, did Siabod with hubby in the winter, its a big lump. Thanks Garry, we have done two of them, not Whernside, we will just pace ourselves, its a great cause though. Looking forward to it now :)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:28 am

A great report on my favourite mountain. Have to say the Watkin Path isn't my fave route though as I hate that top bit after Bwlch y Saethau! That awful loose scree path above the crags - yuck! Any route involving Bwlch Main is my absolute favourite though! Love the pic of the waterfight in the beck! :)
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:39 pm

The top scree is hard going as you say but the fact the crowds go the other routes makes it worthwhile. The dip in the water started off sensibly but you know how it goes, other photos have benn omitted to protect the innocent and preserve dignity at our age. :lol: :lol: :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Really cracking pics there Sue - I like the one looking down on the Pyg track with all the people, and the crowds queueing up on Crib Goch! Even remote Seana Braigh was quite busy this weekend - but these things are relative 8) .
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Unfortunately I have never walked in Scotland, what are the honeypot areas outside Ben Nevis then Paul :)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Ianj.....our trip from the Watkin Path :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby houdi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Always fancied doing the Watkin Path but can't seem to prize myself away from Crib Goch. Apparently, they filmed 'Carry On Up The Khyber' in that valley somewhere.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Our gang would have fitted in with that lot :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby marcinhants » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 am

Snowdonia has got (among many others) one huge plus - it is only 5 hours drive from Southampton :-)
Dr Watkins path is still waiting for me - as every year I am "climbing" :-) Snowdon from different direction

Your photos are great!

http://www.hants.pl/snowdon2/
marcinhants
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks it was a great day with fine weather :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland