walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wansfell

Wansfell

Postby richardkchapman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Wansfell

Date walked: 27/04/2022

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 4.3 km

Ascent: 250m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2022-04-27-1025 Wansfell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So we might have overdone it a bit yesterday - we were both rather tired and aching this morning. Plus Lorraine had a meeting she needed to go to in the afternoon (apparently she hasn't quite understood what being on holiday means), so we seleted a (very) short walk today - up and down Wansfell from the Kirkstone Pass road.

We parked up in the lay-by right by the stile.

ImageParked up in lay-by

The stile leading to the path was a bit odd, with a gate on the top. The first of several rather odd stiles encountered today...

ImageStile in lay-by

The path up didn't look too challenging. Started off with a gentle descent before climbing slowly towards the summit.

ImageHeading up to Wansfell

The most exciting part of the ascent was a selection of walls to be crossed, each with a distinctive stile and/or gate...

ImageFirst wall...

The final wall crossing before the summit had the remains of a ... not sure what sort of stile or gate used to be here.

ImageNot sure what happened here!

The final few steps to the summit opened up some lovely views over Windemere, and indeed in all directions.

ImageSummit panorama looking West

ImageSummit panorama looking East

I spent a while trying to decide if the lake I could see was Rydal or Grasmere - it looked wrong for Grasmere but I didn't think Rydal had an island. Wainwright was little help as he said both could be seen from the summit, yet I could only see one lake. Eventually I determined that (a) Rydal Water does have an island and (b) there's a little bit of another lake visible behind, wihch is Grasmere.

ImageRydal Water and Grasmere

Obligatory picture of summit cairn before returning. We debated walking the ridge to Wansfell Pike but exhaustion won the day...

ImageSummit cairn

On the return leg I decided to photograph the strange stiles that I had noticed on the way up. It seems whoever built these was paranoid about making sure there was no part of the fence that was not 7 feet high. Keeping deer out?

ImageStrange stile

ImageAnother strange stile

Just before we got to the car we were overflown at low altitude by a very noisy fighter plane, coming up from Troutbeck then banking hard to fly through Kirkstone Pass. Usually this week they've been flying in pairs, so I quickly got the camera ready for the second one I was sure was going to follow. But of course, this time there was just the one...

ImageNearly back at the car

A simple walk, but enjoyable, with great views, and the added bonus of completing the "Far Eastern" fells for me. 203 down, 11 to go...
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland