walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dunkerron Mtns, SW Ireland

Dunkerron Mtns, SW Ireland

Postby peter1 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Date walked: 29/08/2020

Time taken: 9.75

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A 2 day walk and camp in the Dunkerron Mountains in Kerry, SW Ireland.

Although the route itself just about reaches the 600m contour, the terrain is extremely rough and great care is required. Also, as there are no paths or tracks once up in the hills, it's essential to be able to navigate with ease. And, as this is SW Ireland and the prevailing weather is from the Atlantic, cloud, mist and rain are very common.
The highest mountain in Ireland, Carrauntoohil, 1037m, is just outside Killarney and, if you are here to climb it, I would strongly suggest a few days in the Dunkerron mountains also.

SW Ireland.png
SW Ireland showing the area in question

The nearest town is Sneem, where essential food, fuel, etc, can be had. Kenmare, further east, has many fine restaurants, hotels, etc, and shops for stocking up on both essentials and non-essentials.

Route:
The start and finish is at GPS ref. 51.8692, -9.9274, and I got here on the Saturday afternoon after a drive of almost 3 hours and parked up.
The ascent to the ridge, w of Knocknagantee, follows a man made track which makes for an easier and more gradual ascent.

IMG_3631 - Copy.JPEG
Looking towards the cliffs at the head of Coomavoher valley. There are 5 (possibly 6) pools nestled in the cliffs.

I headed west along the ridge to take in the top, Knocknagantee West Top, 533m, which I hadn't climbed before. Retracing my steps, I contoured across to the col below Cnoc Breasail, 591m and reached it's summit after a quick climb.
I was now looking for a suitable campsite, as the time was around 6.30pm, and the view down towards Coomavaranniha Lough showed a large, flat area of grass - perfect!
IMG_3639 - Copy.JPEG
Slievenashaska from Cnoc Breasail, with Coomavaranniha Lough.
I pitched camp in the flat grassy area just left of the Lough

However...the descent from Cnoc Breasail was down the most difficult terrain I have ever experienced in 35 years of hill walking! Picture this - many, many thin flakes of rock, all standing up on their long edge, with grass gullys in between, and all at an angle of almost 90deg to the way you want to go! It need very careful route finding...and some bravery at times!

IMG_3642 - Copy.JPEG
Campsite for the night

Next morning, I was up and away by 8.00 and began the climb up towards Slievenashaska, 578m, with a detour out to An Bhinn Lair, 514m first.

IMG_3655 - Copy.JPEG
The view back to Cnoc Breasail

An Bhinn Lair is a very fine viewpoint and overlooks Lough Currane and the lovely town of Waterville.

IMG_3660 - Copy 2.jpeg
Coomcallee and An Bheann Mhor from An Bhinn Lair

My route continued towards Slievenashaska South Top, 565m, dropping in a SW direction to a col before turning SE to reach the summit of Coomnahorna, 590m. The terrain had eased a little on the way out to An Bhinn Lair, mostly short grass. However, I was now back in very rough, bouldery and uneven terrain. I didn't mind it too much - in fact, I was enjoying the challenge - as I had a heavy-ish pack which made for slow going anyway.

IMG_3663 - Copy.JPEG
Looking back across rough ground to Slievenashaska South Top

Finally, from Coomnahorna summit, I descended the East ridge to forestry where I was able to pick up a forest road. I was able to follow this down to the valley where I met the road back to my car.
I highly recommend this area (and Kerry in general) for it's fine, rugged unfrequented mountains!

(A version of this report first appeared on the mountainviews.ie website. Mountainviews is a great resource for hillwalkers in Ireland - very similar to Walkhighlands)
peter1
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Dunkerron Mtns, SW Ireland

Postby Jim777 » Tue May 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Great to see a report on the hills of Southern Ireland. It’s been a long time since the last ones which were probably mine. Haven’t done the hills you mention but must admit I had a great time when I was over there. Got to say your pictures are pretty damn nice 😊 .
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: Dunkerron Mtns, SW Ireland

Postby peter1 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:00 am

Jim777 wrote:Great to see a report on the hills of Southern Ireland. It’s been a long time since the last ones which were probably mine. Haven’t done the hills you mention but must admit I had a great time when I was over there. Got to say your pictures are pretty damn nice 😊 .

Thanks Jim for your kind words. Yes, we have some great hills here!
peter1
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland