walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creigiau Gleision

Creigiau Gleision

Postby Rekrab » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Creigiau Gleision, Creigiau Gleision North Top

Date walked: 21/04/2011

Time taken: 7

Distance: 9.14 km

Ascent: 789m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

on April 14th we went up to do this walk but made it just below Craig Wen, the mist was just short of a blindfold so we turned around although it was good re-con for a return trip this week.

Creigiau Gleision.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started by leaving Llanwrst at 11:00 and getting on the Bus and jumping off at the YHA in Capel Curig,
found our path heading path the camp site and then up the easy going path that leads to Crafnant.
P3190004.JPG
Moel Siabod from LLyn Crafnant path

at SH739596 the Path forks and you now have to climb onto the ridge, after only 100m of climbing you get a Great view of things to come.
P3190005.JPG
Crimpaiu from from path

P3190007.JPG
Craig Wen and Craiglwyn from Path

after a very easy 100m we reach Crimpiau Summit and views are very limited as the Haze is back on again.
P3190008.JPG
Kate and I on Crimpiau

P3190013.JPG
the Glyders and Tryfan from Crimpiau

P3190012.JPG
LLyn Crafnant from Crimpiau

we quickly dropped off Crimpiau and headed over to Craig Wen, following a path through the heather which was very boggy :(
we soon came to the point where we turned back because of the mist the previous week and bounded past it quickly gaining the col before the top and the sun was pounding us.
P3190021.JPG
Craig Wen from Crimpiau we are heading for the Heathery patch below rocky top

P3190024.JPG
almost up

P3190022.JPG
Crimpiau from Criag Wen

more cracking views once we were on Craig Wen
P3190026.JPG
Craiglwyn and Creigiau Gleision from Craig Wen

P3190034.JPG
heading up Craiglwyn

P3190030.JPG
Pen Llithrig y Wrach from Craig Wen

P3190033.JPG
Looking back to Craig Wen

not much to write about scrambly summits and boggy saddles was rest of the day which was shocking as it's been dry here for 10-12 days now so I'd hate to see some portions of this walk after a week of rain.
some Cracking views over Cowlyd reservoir and over to the Southern and Eastern Carneddau are next
P3190035.JPG
Creigiau Gleision from Graiglwyn

P3190038.JPG
Me on Creigniau Gleision my 10th Hewit Thumbs up for sandwich time!!!

we stuck around on the summit for almost and hour having a picnic and getting the boots off to let the feet have a rest while our daughter had a scramble around on the rocks. we only had one more hill on our list for the day as we turn N now to creigiau Gleisions north top which is also a Hewit
P3190044.JPG
Looking to Creigiau Gleisions North Top

P3190045.JPG
Pen Llithrig y Wrach with what I think is Carneddau Llewellyn behind

P3190046.JPG
Creigiau Gleision North top it's all down hill from here

the normal descent path is through forestry to Llyn Crafnant but as we live in the area and are walking distance from our house we Continue N along the ridge through heather eventually turning NE and descending to through the Gelli plantation and then to Gelli after that we walk a nice paved road to Trefiew and then over to Llanrwst
P3190048.JPG
my attempt to get a picture of Llanwrst from Creigniau Gleision North top

thanks for reading see ya again next week as I start the Carneddau!!!!

MacKenzie
Last edited by Rekrab on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: Creigiau Gleision

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 pm

great walk and cracking report....damn that haze stopping us from sharing the views :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Creigiau Gleision

Postby yokehead » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Enjoyed this, great rocky views despite the haze. :D

Enjoy the next phase, I hope to be up that way soon!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland