walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

We're in Fawr it on the Rhinogs

We're in Fawr it on the Rhinogs

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Rhinog Fawr

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Distance: 8.58 km

Ascent: 549m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Should have paid more attention to the description of the Rhinogs which state this is one of the toughest ranges in Snowdonia.
Seduced as I was by the Mountain Weather (MWIS) forecast which promised wall to wall sunshine, cloud free tops and greater than 90% chances of views from the summit I happily planned a walk up Rhinog Fawr. I'm grateful I at least paid attention to Trekking Britains description of the road to the parking area which starts with a shut gate, looks like a farm track and meanders over moorland for approximately two miles and then through another gate to the parking area. My initial reaction otherwise would have been to the effect that we must be in the wrong place.
The morning was already glorious, we met a couple in a camper van who'd camped there overnight and were full of tales of how fabulous it was up in the Rhinogs. I was starting to get excited.

Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+002.JPG
Rhinog Fawr from the parking area - tough as old boots!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+005.JPG
Nant Llyn Du with Rhinog Fawr rising up in the back ground. At this point the going was still deceptively easy!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+009.JPG
Pistyll Gwynn - just wanted to dive right in, at this point layers had been shed down to just a base layer and the day was warming up nicely!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+011.JPG
After about a mile or so you come out of the forest and the landscape opens up, a very obvious col leads to Bwlch Tyddiad or the Roman Steps, the more traditional approach to Rhinog Fawr.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+013.JPG
Approaching Bwlch Tyddiad the temperature ramped up in this amphitheatre of rock, heather and moorland and the vegetation was incredibly dry despite the ground being boggy in places.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+018.JPG
Loved these wispy clouds, to me this one looks rather like a dachshund ready to pounce.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+019.JPG
Just about to turn off the path, head across a wall and head up the steep path to Llyn Du. This was a backward look to remember the route home.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+023.JPG
This wee fellow was basking in the sun - I'm quite sure we saw him on the same rock on the way back home.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+024.JPG
Path to Llyn Du - the name of the game from now on in was rocks and boulders.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+025.JPG
Looking back the Arans in the background.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+027.JPG
Possibly the most beautiful mountain lake I have ever seen. Here we stopped for a bite to eat and a little rest. The lake is so tranquil and Rhinog Fawr rises like an ancient petrified giant from its shores.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+029.JPG
Fiona approaching the shore of Llyn Du - this place made her inner water baby very happy!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+030.JPG
Lying on my back, soaking up a few rays and listening to the lake lapping the shore - I mean really, can life get any better?
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+033.JPG
Walking along a big rock ridge I had to stop and take this picture - this is how Llyn Du earns it's name - the Dark Lake.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+035.JPG
Further up, more out of breath but still blissfully unaware that there are hundreds of paths that are not shown on the map. Things are about to get messy!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+038.JPG
Rocky path up - at this point we'd just met a Snowdonia Park Ranger who advised us we were on one of the easier, less strenuous routes up and vaguely pointed up by way of giving directions. We'd chosen the easy route? Really?!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+039.JPG
First glimpse of the sea - Cardigan Bay and Harlech in the distance.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+043.JPG
The rocky path twists and meanders up the mountain.. and then things got really interesting! I lost my bearings, completely thrown by all the paths criss-crossing the mountain side. I couldn't see an obvious way up, this is because the way up was basically straight up a sort of gully with scree and towards the top large boulders. I watched a party of walkers slide and squeal they're way down, some were quite shaken. Most told us it really wasn't too bad and then a lady dispelled my doubts by describing the views at the top - we were going to have a crack at it!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+045.JPG
Summit of Rhinog Fawr - I have never felt happier to reach a summit! The views were amazing, we could see the Arenigs, Arans, Cadair Idris and Cardigan Bay gleaming like a jewel .. simply stunning! Maybe all the more rewarding for really pushing our boundaries, I do not have the best head for heights and the scree slope that seemed to drop off into nowhere was really frightening.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+048.JPG
Fiona looking considerably more composed at this stage. She overcame a huge barrier to get on to this summit and words can't say how proud I am of her. In the back ground Rhinog Fach and Y Llethr.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+050.JPG
Very happy hill baggers - this will always remain in my memory as a day of immense achievement. All the more so if you consider the extra rubber tyre I schlepped up with me, niftily concealed beneath my T-shirt!
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+051.JPG
Cardigan Bay
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+052.JPG
Rhinog Fach and Y Llethr, Arans in the back ground.
Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+054.JPG
Rather than going for the vertical return, I found a path that traversed the mountain and in a big zig (there wasn't really a zag) we returned via a stone wall to the far side of Llyn Du. Time for a little fun as we clambered across the huge boulders that make up the shore line.

We had the most wonderful, rewarding, happy day not that you'd have thought it as I cussed like a fish wife for some time!
It's so good to just push yourself that little further out of your comfort zone every now and then.

For an alternative account of this fantastic day out read Fiona's post here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11375&p=74754#p74754
Her literary talent does our walk a lot more justice!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by smirnie71 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Re: We're in Fawr it on the Rhinogs

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Rhinog+Fawr%2C+24+Apr+066.JPG
Hers and Hers Crocs - nothing beats the sensation of pulling your boots and socks off after eight hours on the go and slipping your feet into these hideous, uncool, unfashionable but oh so orthopaedically wonderful items of footwear!
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Great report and pics smirnie - I just read through Fiona's version of events where she tells all about the scree - the girl did good to get past it and you both did great to scramble to the summit of this wee beastie :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Whoa... woman !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fab way to chill 8) 8) 8) :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Chris, thank you, it was an amazing walk, a challenge and a joy all in one. To have the privilege of such glorious views and fine weather is just the icing on the cake! :D 8) :lol: :)

Merry - I really can't think of a better place, time or reason to be chilling - will keep the chill pics coming! 8) 8) 8)
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

smirnie71 wrote:Chris, thank you, it was an amazing walk, a challenge and a joy all in one. To have the privilege of such glorious views and fine weather is just the icing on the cake! :D 8) :lol: :)

Merry - I really can't think of a better place, time or reason to be chilling - will keep the chill pics coming! 8) 8) 8)

:D :D :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby morag1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Another great day out - loved the blue mountain lakes :D
morag1

Postby smirnie71 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 am

morag1 wrote:Another great day out - loved the blue mountain lakes :D

It was Morag, thank you :D :clap: Had a brilliant day and chilling by the lake was a definite highlight!
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland