walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Woods and Caves in North Shropshire

Woods and Caves in North Shropshire

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Date walked: 23/04/2011

Distance: 8.24 km

Ascent: 214m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good Friday in Nesscliffe Country Park, a wonderful walk to get the old leg muscles warmed up after a busy week at walk and despite this being the stomping ground of my youth we found a top I knew nothing about! :o

Nesscliffe 22Apr 003.JPG
Shady woodland walk along well maintained paths. After all the mountains of late, this really is a walk in the park!
Nesscliffe 22Apr 009.JPG
The colour from the oil seed rape is almost blinding! It was an incredibly hazy day but with the sun on our backs we went for a happy plod through the woods.
Nesscliffe 22Apr 016.JPG
Heath land with lots of heather and a wonderful bench made of petrified wood perched on the top which gives glorious views of rolling Shropshire countryside, when it's not so hazy!
Nesscliffe 22Apr 024.JPG
Uhm, I fear I look a little like I'm reposing on the WC but I can assure you that's a topographical map. I just hope that the sight of my lily white podgy legs has distracted you, dear viewer from the slightly inept pose.
Nesscliffe 22Apr 027.JPG
Scots pines at the Olivers Point view point. Many an hour I've idled away sitting on the big boulders of red Shropshire sand stone gazing at the Breiddens and Berwyns. An idyllic spot made all the more special to me as I scattered my Mums ashes up here nearly six years ago.
Nesscliffe 22Apr 031.JPG
Old sandstone quarry by Kynastons Cave.
Nesscliffe 22Apr 034.JPG
Kynastons Cave, reputedly the hang out of Humphrey Kynaston, youngest son of Roger Kynaston, High Sheriff of Shropshire, he was convicted for murder in 1491. After being outlawed, he moved into this cave and lived a lifestyle compared to Robin Hood.
Nesscliffe 22Apr 037.JPG
Some agricultural detritus left in a field by the old A5 - it has a sort of rough beauty I think.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Re: Woods and Caves in North Shropshire

Postby canisp » Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 am

A fine diverse set of photos, especially like the steps, the erosion by countless feet over the centuries gives them an amazing distorted look.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Great set of pics canisp, had to put my sunglasses on 8) ....not for the rapeseed.....for the legs :lol: :lol: Sorry, but someone was going to say it, I though it might as well be me :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby smirnie71 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am

canisp wrote:A fine diverse set of photos, especially like the steps, the erosion by countless feet over the centuries gives them an amazing distorted look.

Thank you for your lovely comment Canisp, you are a lovely person unlike someone else I can think off :crazy:
It is a beautiful area and finding subjects to photograph is easy.
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:15 am

ChrisW wrote:Great set of pics canisp, had to put my sunglasses on 8) ....not for the rapeseed.....for the legs :lol: :lol: Sorry, but someone was going to say it, I though it might as well be me :D

You on the other hand Mr, are just plain nasty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :cry: - The legs are quite disturbing, I grant you. Strangely enough they haven't seen the light of day since that walk...
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland