walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torre de los Horcados Rojos - Picos de Europa

Torre de los Horcados Rojos - Picos de Europa

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Date walked: 02/07/2022

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 850m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the second week of our holiday. Week 1 was in the Basque region, week 2 was staying in Colio, just above Potes, to the East of the Picos de Europa.
I had wanted to go to the Picos de Europa since a university friend had a picture on her wall of the Bulness Pinnacle. I missed the Uni climbing trip there in 1993 – and it has taken 29 years to get there, but here I was…

We stayed at the wonderful mountain village of Colio – a lovely house, welcoming hosts, amazing views and some of the narrowest and steepest village streets I have ever seen. ( http://www.booking.com/Share-dcz2YD ) This was our view:
ImageSpain - Basque and Picos 2022 by Matt, on Flickr

We have a couple of other rides and walks to share. Without a doubt the walking is better than the mountain biking.
This I think is one of my favourite days on the mountains, ever. They are stunning peaks and walks. I will be back.

......................................................................................................................................................

Torre de los Horcados Rojos (2506m/8222ft)

Our walk started with a surprise – I had woken at 7am by a sudden thought that the date was the day we had pre-booked the cable car…not the following day as I had gone to bed thinking. Sure enough, we were up and out the house and charging up the road to Fuente De to make our early booked time slot…

(£20 a head return, and worth it!)

I was glad we did, mainly for the opportunity to walk uphill in the cool of the shade, but also as I am not sure what would have happened if we had missed it. The cable car is small but fast – 4 minutes sees you over 750m higher than you started, among giggly crowds taking selfies on the see-through viewing deck…

We soon left many behind and headed up the valley on easy tracks. At this time, it was hill walkers and photographers only. Many stopped at the first main junction to watch the Griffon Vultures, a few diverted off here to complete one of the many through walks. Fewer headed up the valley with us, leading to a very peaceful morning.

The views just kept coming, the dusty and rocky landscape reminding me of photos of the High Sierrra, and the cool air reminding us were high up.

After a gentle track walk up the valley, our path reared up into a boulder field left by the glacier. Most of the paths here were created by miners and some of their work is impressive.

As we burst out into the sun we were near the col and crossing the first few snow fields. The temperature was now climbing, and we began to work hard for the summit.

Many folk headed off from the base of the coire to the Cabana Veronica, a ridge top shelter which sells refreshements. At the true col, another group split off to continue their trek passed theBulness Pinnacle and down to Bulness for the night.

The climb from the col was loose and steep – and we made it with only a few other folk. The last few metres of scramble took us to a lovely airy summit. In 15-18c temps, blue skies and light wind we loitered for some lunch and to just soak in the views.

As we turned down the queues of people on the main path were clear, as was the increase in those heading for the summit. Glad to be descending in the heat, we didn’t hang around. It really was beating down at 30*c in the valley, we were glad of the ‘too much’ water we had packed.

Highlight of the descent was seeing a mother and kid Chamois cross the trail – and the ever changing and vertiginous views. No photo, it was too far away.

We arrived back at the cable car to find it crowded and noisy – and so hopped on the first car down. We amazingly also arrived back to an empty outdoor table in the shade but with a view of the mountains and cable car. Cold drinks all around to end a fabulous day on the hill.

matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland