walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Calf and Calders from Bowderdale

The Calf and Calders from Bowderdale

Postby martin.h » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, The Calf

Date walked: 16/07/2022

Time taken: 5.45

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 687m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A repeat of a walk we did a couple of years ago, one that we really enjoyed because of the feeling of solitude we had whilst walking beside the Bowderdale Beck.

We parked up just over the bridge in the little hamlet of Bowderdale, there's a few cottages, residential and holiday lets, a nice quiet little place away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The weather was brilliant, sunshine in abundance we couldn't have asked for better, it was going to be a warm one but there was no rush today.

We set off up the road to the track that leaves it on the left,

this is part of the Dales Highway. After about 1.5 km the path splits, straight forward the Dales Highway continues, where a path starts dropping down to the beck to the left is where we were going, you can see Great Yarlside away off in the distance.

This path starts to level off and remains just above the beck for about 3 miles

Great Yarlside close up

before it starts a rising traverse of the hillside up towards a little tarn at around SD671975 this is where it re-joins the Dales Highway for the walk up to the trigpoint on The Calf.

Views from the tarn

On the summit the views were fantastic

we decided to go a bit further along the Dales Highway and visit Calders, at just under a mile and a half round trip it was worth it just for the views.

Towards The Calf and the start of our return journey

We met a few locals on the way back, they weren't bothered by our presence

When we got back to The Calf our route back to the car was along the Dales Highway taking in Hazelgill Knott and
West Fell, a nice easy walk with some lovely views of the near Howgills and ahead towards the northern Pennines and west towards the Lakes.

We decided to have a nice long lunch break on West Fell just at the point before we started the final descent back to Bowderdale.

This is a nice short day out in the Howgills, we met three couples whilst out so it's pretty quiet. We'll probably start from Bowderdale again in the future but do the ridge on the other side of Bowderdale ascending Randygill Top (or Great Yarlside) from the beck and working our way back :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: The Calf and Calders from Bowderdale

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:18 pm

Nice report and pics. I walked this area in early (frosty!) 2017: I never fail to be surprised how different a hill in summer can be from the same hill in winter!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: The Calf and Calders from Bowderdale

Postby Fractral » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:27 pm

Been a few years since I was last in the area (2017 I think :shock: ) but I remember being astonished at how remote upper Bowderdale felt, considering it's still in the dales. One of my favourite places to walk in England for sure.
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland