walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Allalinhorn, Lagginhorn, Weissmies: 3 easy(ish) 4000ers

Allalinhorn, Lagginhorn, Weissmies: 3 easy(ish) 4000ers

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:45 pm

Date walked: 15/07/2022

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've put together a report of climbs of three 4000 m peaks in the Saas Fee area of Switzerland. They are all 'easy' by Alpine standards, though are still quite serious undertakings compared to hiking in Britain. Anyone unsure of their abilities should hire a guide (Saas Fee Guides are especially recommended).

Allalinhorn (4027 m)

Allalinhorn is often described as one of the easiest 4000 m peaks by it's standard route, the North West flank (F+). I had done this the previous year as part of a guided group, but wanted to climb the mountain again via the East ridge, known as the Hohlaubgrat. Most guidebooks rate the Hohlaubgrat as PD+. The AD grade given by the Swiss Alpine Clubs seems way too high to me. It's mostly just an easy snow ridge with one short rock climb just below the summit.

The forecast for the weekend was for bright sunshine, temperatures well above freezing at 4000 m, and over 10 degrees at 3000 m. Warm temperatures are a serious hazard on alpine routes involving glacier crossings as snow bridges covering crevasses can become weak, increasing the chance of falling through. The situation over the summer has become so bad, I've invested in a dedicated snow anchor for use in crevasse rescue.

Allalinhorn1.jpg
Allalinhorn from Stellihorn

Allalinhorn3.jpg
Allalinhorn from Stockhorn

Allalinhorn4.jpg
Allalinhorn from near the Britannia hut

I climbed Allalinhorn with our new PhD student, Raphael. We had climbed the Balmhorn (3698 m) the previous week (PD+), so were reasonably acclimatised. We arrived in Saas Fee the previous day, took the cable car up to Felskinn, then climbed up to the Britannia hut. We arrived in plenty of time to do the new via ferrata that's been put up nearby. This is rated up to K4, which is moderately difficult, though considerably easier than the Plan Praz via ferrata near Leysin (K5).

We set off from the Britannia hut at about 4.15 am and descended down to the lower Hohlaub glacier. Below around 3100 m, the glacier was 'dry', meaning there was no snow cover and all crevasses could easily be seen.

Allalinhorn5.jpg

Allalinhorn6.jpg

Above 3100 m, there was a cover of very soft slushy snow. This was exactly the thing we were worried about and we soon began to encounter crevasses covered by very weak snow bidges. After a couple of near misses, I broke through a snow bridge with both feet. Somehow I managed to stay calm and slowly crawl forward until I was on firmer snow and escape the crevasse. We stopped and waited for a following group to cross the same section in case anyone needed rescuing.

Allalinhorn7.jpg

Allalinhorn8.jpg

We reached the crest of the ridge at about 3500 m. There are a couple of rocky sections, but it's mosty just snow. Beware cornices on the left side - you really do not want to fall down the South face (shown on the first photo of this report)

Allalinhorn9.jpg

Approaching the crux:

Allalinhorn10.jpg

A closer look:

Allalinhorn11.jpg

The lower section of the rock band is the hardest part and would probably be UIAA grade III if climbed free, but is now made much easier by chains bolted into the rock. The rest is no more than II, but must be free-climbed.

At the top of the rock climb:

Allalinhorn12.jpg

Once above the rock band, there is a short walk to the summit:

Allalinhorn13.jpg

Rimpfischhorn, with Monte Rosa on the left, Liskamm behind and Castor on the right:

Allalinhorn14.jpg

Thankfully we reached the summit about 15 minutes before the hoards coming up from Mittelallalin. In one case, a guide was hauling a group of six clients on a single rope.

Allalinhorn15.jpg

Me on the summit:

Allalinhorn16.jpg

The descent is via the normal route (NW flank), which is an easy snow plod but is very crevassed.

Allalinhorn17.jpg

Some real monster crevasses :crazy: :

Allalinhorn18.jpg

View of the route from Mittelallalin:

Allalinhorn19.jpg

After a beer at the revolving Mittelallalin restaurant, when took the underground train and then the cable car back down to Saas Fee and were back in Geneva by dinner time :D

Lagginhorn (4010 m)
A week after the Allalinhorn trip, I was back in the Saas Fee area. The huts were almost entirely booked up and the only place we could get any space at was the Hohsaas hut. This gave us the option of climbing either Weissmies or Lagginhorn, both via a number of possible routes. Unfortunately Raphael called in sick and needed to cancel, leaving me on my own. Fortunately, the Lagginhorn is one of the few 4000 m peak that can be climbed solo with reasonable safety due to the lack of crevasse risk. The standard route is usually rated PD with rock climbing up to UIAA II. Providing there is no snow or ice on the rocks it's more like a long, difficult hike (T5 in the Swiss system). The PD rating is justified, however, given the high altitude and length of the route. The Lagginhorn should not be underestimated and people have died trying to climb it. In 2012 a group of 5 German climbers, most from the same family, were killed when descending from the summit. They were not roped up, which makes it difficult to see how such a calamity could have occurred.

The standard route follows the WSW ridge, which is the one on the left on the photo below. The parallel ridge on the right is known as the WSW rib. Both appear very foreshortened in the photo.

Lagginhorn1.jpg
Lagginhorn from Alphubel.

Lagginhorn2.jpg

Lagginhorn3.jpg

The standard route from the Hohsaas hut starts with a short descent, followed by a scramble over the WSW rib. This is mostly easy (no more than I) and the main problem is finding the route in the poor light of early morning. The most awkward section is protected by a cable. Once at the top of the rib, an easy descent leads down to what is left of the Lagginhorn Glacier. This was almost entirely covered in a thick carpet of rocks falling from the West face, above. Previously, the normal route climbed almost to the head of the glacier, then turned left and followed a 'dog leg' route up onto the WSW ridge. The risk of rockfall has increased to the point where this route is no longer considered safe any more. Groups starting from the Weissmies hut tend to climb the WSW in its entirety, while those coming from Hohsaas now cut straight across the glacier and climb more directly onto the ridge (see photo below). This is not technically difficult but is annoyingly loose, especially lower down.

Lagginhorn_route.jpg

Once on the WSW ridge, the way to the summit is over a well-worn path, with occasional sections of minor scrambling. If you can manage something like Sharp Edge, you should have no problems.

Lagginhorn4.jpg

The most technically challenging part is a section of slabs about halfway up. This is no more than UIAA grade II and just involves a few difficult moves with limited handholds. The photo below is taken from the top of the slabs, looking down. In some photos I've seen, the slabs appear to be almost vertical, although in reality the angle is about 45 degrees, maximum.

Lagginhorn_slabs.jpg

Lagginhorn5.jpg

Lagginhorn6.jpg

I became stuck behind a number of guided groups labouring up a scrambly section near the summit. One unguided couple was having all sorts of trouble with a really easy rock step, despite an obvious path lying just a couple of metres to the side. Taking advantage of this, I managed to get past them and clamber up some easy rocks to get in amongst the guided groups, then found another short cut to get ahead of everyone.

Lagginhorn7.jpg

I then quickly scrambled up the remaining rocks to reach the summit, which I had to myself. Most reports and youtube videos show climbers crossing a snow field just below the summit. This was one of my biggest concerns as a solo climber because it appeared quite steep and exposed. In reality, it's possible to avoid the snow field entirely, especially if the rocks are free of snow and ice.

Lagginhorn8.jpg

The summit area is quite small and exposed, although not as bad as I'd feared.

Lagginhorn9.jpg

View to the North to the Fletschorn:

Lagginhorn10.jpg

Looking South towards Weissmies:

Lagginhorn11.jpg

For the descent, I followed the WSW ridge all the way down to the end. This has now become the standard route up for groups starting at the Weissmies hut. For much of the way, I followed another couple of solo climbers, one of whom was wearing sandals :roll: . I've seen worse. At least this guy seemed to be a competent climber. I once saw an idiot in jeans and trainers trying to climb the Breithorn :shock:

Lagginhorn12.jpg

Looking towards the Dom group on the other side of the Saas Valley:

Lagginhorn13.jpg

Weissmies (4017 m)
Next up was Weissmies (pronounced "Vice - meez"), the most Easterly 4000er in Valais and one of the finest peaks in the Alps. There are two standard routes: (1) a glacier climb up the North flank (PD), and (2) a rock scramble up the South ridge (PD/PD+, II). Given that I was climbing solo again, the North flank was not a sensible option so I climbed from the South.

Weissmies1.jpg
Weissmies from Mittaghorn. The South ridge is on the right

On day 1, I took the bus to the village of Saas Grund, then climbed up through the forests to Almagelleralp and up to the Almagllerhut at 2892 m.

The next day, I had breakfast at 4.00 am, and set off from the hut at 4.30. Quite a few groups had set off before me, but I managed to overtake all but one of them before reaching the Zwischbergenpas (3242 m). From here, there are two options. Either (1) follow the South ridge in its entirety, or (2) walk up the moraine fields and glacier on the East side (see the last photo in this report). The first option was much more attractive and offered some nice scrambling, with just one awkward section that can be avoided by a short detour. The route up the glacier no longer appears to be sensible option due to the risk of rock fall. I saw numerous large rocks bouncing and cartwheeling down at high speed, especially on the descent.

Weissmies4.jpg
The South ridge, taken during descent later in the day

The scrambling is quite sustained at UIAA grade I and II, but nothing worse. Exposure is fairly low and most of the rock is very stable.

Weissmies5.jpg

The gradient steepens towards the top of the rock ridge:

Weissmies6.jpg

The final section is a famous snow arete, which is split into two parts by a short rocky scramble. The snow arete was the bit that worried me most of all. I was concerned that all the hot weather would have turned the snow to soft slush, increasing the risk of slipping and decreasing the ability to self arrest. I was shocked to discover that the snow had in fact almost entirely melted, leaving behind a ridge of very hard glacial ice:

Weissmies7.jpg

The final section of the summit ridge was part bare ice, part very hard icy snow. I regretted bringing my old Grivel crampons, which have become seriously blunt after too much walking over rocks. Still, I was able to get enough purchase on the ice to be able to cross the arete safely and reach the summit, 3 hours and 15 minutes after setting off.

Weissmies8.jpg

I descended the same way I came up, all the way back down to Saas Grund. As I started to down climb the rock ridge, I began to meet the other groups climbing up. Most appeared to be roped up guided parties, and were probably aiming to traverse over the North side and get the cable car down from Hohsaas.

I was starting to run low on water and was getting seriously worried about being dehydrated. I could see a good stream of meltwater coming from the snout of the glacier, so decided to climb down and refill my water bottle. The area was still threatened by rock fall, so I quickly climbed back up onto the rock ridge and continued all the way down, stopping off for a beer at the Almagellerhütte :D

Weissmies10.jpg

Unless snow conditions improve (i.e. temperatures drop below freezing again) these might be the last 4000 m peaks I climb this year :(. In recent weeks, the freezing level has been over 5000 m (!!), even at night. Many routes, including Mont Blanc, Matterhorn and Jungfrau, are essentially 'closed' due to risk of rock fall, serac collapse or crevasse falls. A sad state of affairs :(
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Allalinhorn, Lagginhorn, Weissmies: 3 easy(ish) 4000ers

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Great TR, thanks for posting! For me, a trip down memory lane - Weissmies and Allalinhorn were two of my favourite walks in the Alps years ago.

But, sad to hear of the impact of the warm conditions - and worrying for the future of Alpinism.

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby gaffr » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 am

Yes, very noticeable changes in the three hills in your report. Allalinhorn is a good ascent by way of the Hohlaubgrat and I guess that the chain at the pitch prior to the summit will now make things easier...and of course the interesting zig-zag descent via the the big slits. :) Huge amounts of snow'ice had gone from the ascent of Weissmies from the Hohsaas Hutte.
For the Lagginhorn we went by way of the South Ridge from Hohsaas that shows up one of your images then down from the top directly to the lower Refuge...can't recall the name of this building. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:17 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great TR, thanks for posting! For me, a trip down memory lane - Weissmies and Allalinhorn were two of my favourite walks in the Alps years ago.

But, sad to hear of the impact of the warm conditions - and worrying for the future of Alpinism.

tim

For contrast - a similar view to yours of the Dom group, on my way up the Weissmies (west face) from the Hohsaas hut, taken in July 2007. Lots more snow cover and the glaciers look bigger.

I wonder if summer climbing in the Alps will become more like UK summer scrambles and rock climbing rather than Scottish snow and ice - but usually on looser, more dangerous rock. As you note, many routes may have to be closed. Not good!

Dom group.jpg
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:20 pm

Thanks Tim and Gaffr. The current conditions are really a combination of both very low snowfall over the winter and a heatwave that has been going since the middle of June (and looks to likely to continue for at least another 10 days). Last year there was a lot more snow, with similar cover on the Dom group to that shown in Tim's photo. The huge summit cross on Alphubel was apparently completely buried and needed to marked marked with a plastic pole. But the glaciers are definitely retreating, especially around Chamonix :(
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:48 pm

Just back from switzerland where we stuck to long multi pitch rock climbs just out of the valley. As virtually none of them are in english language guidebooks though we pretty much had every crag to ourselves.
Far too hot though, even at 3000m it was warm. The Mont Buet traverse a normal favourite of ours was devoid of meaningful snow.

The weismeis is the only one of your summits I've done before (2009) and we did the traverse and down past the scary seracs.
IMG_0095.jpeg
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Thanks for that
Yes the loss of snow/ice is quite shocking and self accelerating
A09.jpg
The Mischabel from the Wiesmeiss in early August 2000
Your picture of the Lagginhorn from the Alphubel shows it virtually snow free :shock: It was a snow peak when I did it in 2000, and there was also snow/ice on it in July 2012 when those five novice walkers fell to their death there :( .
The ice acts as a heat absorber and. the less ice the more the temperatures will rise and the greater the rate of loss.etc. etc. :
I believe Alpine temperatures are rising at about 2 degrees per year and it's expected that almost all the permanent ice will be gone by 2050..
This is going to mean massive fllood danger in the Alpine valleys as so much more precipitation will fall as rain rather than snow. It won't happen in my time, but I see Zermatt as a disaster waiting to happen. Four streams converge there from a massive catchment area. We saw what happened in Germany last Summer: The Swiss should take note
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:08 pm

Yes, the Lagginhorn is virtually snow free most of the summer now, except for the occasional dusting. Even last November, there was virtually nothing. Scary stuff :crazy:

For comparison, compare this to prog99's photo of Weissmies:

P1010984-1.jpg
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby Colin1951 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Thanks for posting this report, I enjoyed it so much! I was on the Allalinhorn via the numpties’ route in September 2009 and (although it was a cold end-of-summer outing) the snow cover was solid and almost entirely crevasse free so your pictures of the destruction there are shocking. I think my next Alpine trip will need to be in June!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm

Thanks. Numpties' route, I love it :lol: Selling yourself a bit short there, Colin! I assume there were crevasses when you climbed, but they must have been filled over with snow. The lack of crevasse filling was a real problem for skiiers in the Monte Rosa region this year and there were a few serious accidents :(
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 pm

There were no crevasses on the "numpties" route when I did it. The guidebook said the biggest danger was being run down by a skier :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Colin1951 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 pm

past my sell by date wrote:There were no crevasses on the "numpties" route when I did it. The guidebook said the biggest danger was being run down by a skier :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup….there may well have been crevasses when I did it but they were deeply buried, it had been a snowy spring and (relatively cool summer that year. Crossing the piste was like crossing Sauchiehall Street!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland