walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ingleborough - Station to Station

Ingleborough - Station to Station

Postby weedavie » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:54 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough

Date walked: 12/07/2022

Time taken: 5.2

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 710m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You have to be careful about complaining about what England looks like. It's actually OK. I've been walking in the Yorkshire National Park, and Ben Lomond and Ben Vorlich, the Loch Earn one, are each more stowed than anywhere I walked. Also the area rivals the Pentlands for good looks and is in fact higher.

Anyway I was based with some horses in the Howgills, where it's easy to find deserted routes, but I'd done all the high tops. Never mind, there was something called Ingleborough about a dozen miles south that I could do between train stations. So I cycled down to Kirkby Stephen staion and took a train to Ribblehead.

Nice train ride, but just before I got off we crossed a viaduct, and Jaysus, the fuss. Now the weekend before, I'd come across from Dunfermline, and nobody got hot and bothered about the Forth Bridge. OK, that's a top drawer one, but the train then crosses the West Lothian viaduct and it's fabulous but it's just there to enjoy. Onywise, everybody was getting their rocks off on the Ribblehead one and why not?
650 p1.jpg
Better than Harry Potter!

Time was back in the 70s you could see the Pennine Way as a scar across the countryside, from an aeroplane at twenty thousand feet. It was caused by people spread across bog land and could be 100 metres wide. Pathing has improved that immensely, but the paths are hard under foot and very visible, in a different way from before, thin white bands of exteme contrast.

As I left the station, I could see hordes going along the local hard path, you can see it, just beyond the bridge, in the photie. I wandered down a B road then cut up on to the moor. Fine, mostly deserted and not much used, judging by the lack of damage on the few boggy bits. I met nobody till I approached Ingleborough. I soon remembered to stop saying "How y'doin'?" to people. I'd moved from deserted hillside to what they regarded as a public park, where auld fellas talking to you is worth being wary of.
650 p2.jpg
Ingleborough, faint path, faint hill.

I liked Ingleborough and I wandered round the walls of the Celtic hill fort. My return train was not till five so I then extended the walk south to Trow Gill. It was busy and the paths were hard but this did give me an unexpected hobbit canyon.
650 p3.jpg
Rivendell

After exiting it, I climbed to join the Pennine Bridleway, pleasantest walking of the day. I've encountered the bridleway before, it kind of parallels the Pennine Way but is accessible by horses (no kissing gates or stiles). It was turf under foot and again very quiet, threading between limestone pavements.
650 IMG_1409.jpg
Limestone pavement

I reached the Ingleborough Horton path, which was hard and very busy. I was glad I hadn't followed it from the hill. Still, it was just 3k down to the pub, which had a sullen bartender. He didn't stop me enjoying a couple of pints of Black Sheep in the car park. Horton Station had a ban on train spotters parking, which seemed odd. Train back to Kirkby Stephen, then a steep but wind-assisted bike ride back to the horses.
650 p4.jpg

ribbleheadstationtohorton(1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Ingleborough - Station to Station

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:41 pm

Remember going through that hobbit canyon in the snow and then going very warily up Ingleborough in case the snow had somehow managed to obscure sinkholes down which we might fall. On the summit was a group of young army lads looking grumpily as if this wasn't at all what they had signed up for.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Ingleborough - Station to Station

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:42 pm

Remember going through that hobbit canyon in the snow and then going very warily up Ingleborough in case the snow had somehow managed to obscure sinkholes down which we might fall. On the summit was a group of young army lads looking grumpily as if this wasn't at all what they had signed up for. Yours looks a pleasant outing. Brilliant use of trains.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland