walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maps in walk reports - outside Scotland board

Which is best

Poll ended at Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:12 pm

Option 1
100%
Option 2
No votes

Total votes : 17

Maps in walk reports - outside Scotland board

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Date walked: 23/11/2022

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our map server is very old, and we're making a new one (otherwise it dies as it needs to be on newer better software).

The new map server is going to have different maps - more details for Scotland, more basic outside Scotland. Including a map in reports outside the UK is something that has never worked.

There are two options for how we show maps on walk reports on the outside Scotland board. I've posted this here as it is only this board that it affects.

Option 1 - We can keep things close to how they are now, so when you upload a gpx file, there's a wee inline map appears in your report (on this E&W board, Scotland isn't changing), and a download gpx link for your readers if they want your file. Tthe new maps will be a bit less detailed but still illustrate where you went. No gpx functionality for reports outside the UK, as currently.

Option 2 - When you upload a gpx file, there's a link in your report for others to download it. But we no longer have an embedded map - instead having an external link that would show a map of your route on an external website (probably GPX visualizer). This would mean there wouldn't be a map shown in your report itself, but the advantage would be that it would work for anywhere in the world rather than just England and Wales.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Maps in walk reports - outside Scotland board

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm

What would happen to GPX maps on existing posts?
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:11 pm

They would display according to which option is implemented. Basically they will be the same as new ones.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 pm

Paul Webster wrote:They would display according to which option is implemented. Basically they will be the same as new ones.

Thanks
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 pm

A visualisation of the route is always good, as long as the detail is at least enough to illustrate the rough terrain.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:12 pm

Definitely Option 1, if I understand it correctly. Most reports are still E&W and are read rather than necessarily gpx-downloaded (I think) - and that provides a better reading experience. There is no loss to non-UK reports from the current position, where maps can still occasionally be inserted as pictures.

Will this have an effect on maps in the GPS planner as well as those shown in posts, Paul? I can't really make a strong argument for you providing a premier service outside Scotland, but it would still definitely be sad to lose 1-25k OS in there.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:01 pm

I would go for option one personally. Even if the detail is lacking it would provide a better indication of where the route went, without having to go to external sites.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the comments - they all point in the same direction which is really helpful. :thumbup: So we'll keep having embedded maps - even with less detail in E&W they will still give an easy visualisation of where the person writing the report went.

Will this have an effect on maps in the GPS planner as well as those shown in posts, Paul? I can't really make a strong argument for you providing a premier service outside Scotland, but it would still definitely be sad to lose 1-25k OS in there.

Yes, I'm afraid there will be changes to the GPS planner, which uses our old tile server. We are really trying to focus on the things we think WH can do well - which I think is mostly two things a) our routes and things like maps that help with following those and b) the community walk reports building up as a permanent resource of experience. We want to work to concentrate on and improve those two things (which also benefit each other). The GPS planner has pretty low use these days - more than 80% of users browse WH on phones where the GPS planner wouldn't work (it needs a mouse) and so it has never appeared on mobiles. I realise people posting reports are likely going to be (and will keep) using computers as they are much better if you are doing alot of typing etc, but most people reading are on phones. I don't know exactly we'll do with the GPS planner yet but the OS 1:25k tiles hosted on our own server are going to go completely. To be honest I think other sites do drawing GPS routes better. OS 1:25k has never been used / shown in walk reports in any case.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:50 pm

OK - I've replaced all forum user report maps (even Scotland) with a new pretty detailed map (probably better than what was shown on walk reports previously) which is being delivered by the OS itself. This is a bit of an experiment and we may change it again but would be interested to hear any strong views.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland