walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bowscale Fell

Bowscale Fell

Postby MiniRambo » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowscale Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 2.3

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 530m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After watching the Royal Wedding with friends and family and having finished the bbq and seen the guests leave, Malcolm and I decided to have a quick trip to the Northern Lakes and take in a Wainwright. We decided that Bowscale Fell would fit the bill and was accesible for our purposes. So we loaded up and were away from the house at just after 3.15pm.

Arrived at Bowscale hamlet, booted up and away by 4.00pm. The day was sunny but views were restricted by haze.

108_5774.JPG
Setting Off!

108_5775 - Copy.JPG
On Route

The track from Bowscale has been an old farm access track and made for good walking as it climbed gradually up towards Bowscale Tarn, only the last few hundred yards did it become steeper. The tarn itself looked beautiful, a little oasis surrounded by the steep crags of Bowscale Fell.

108_5776 - Copy.JPG
Carrock Fell

108_5780 - Copy.JPG
Bowscale Tarn

Took a few minutes to take in the views and have a breather, then set off in a westerly direction on an obvious but steep path to gain the ridge. As we neared the ridge, the wind speed picked up considerably. We now had limited views to the Skiddaw peaks as well as to the closer Carrock Fell and and High Pike to the north.

108_5782 - Copy.JPG
The Climb

108_5783 - Copy.JPG
Bowscale Tarn

108_5784 - Copy.JPG
Carrock Fell

We followed the path so far around the rim of the crags and then headed due south to the cairn marking the high point of Bowscale Fell. We now had views to Blencathra and Bannerdale Crags.

108_5786 - Copy.JPG
Views Westerly

108_5788 - Copy.JPG
At the summit

108_5790 - Copy.JPG
Bannerdale Crags and Blencathra

We were in two minds as to descend via the Tongue, however we ended up walking down the broad Bowscale Fell ridge hoping that there would be a path to descend to our car. Unfortunately, this wasn't to be and the path took us down to Mungrisdale, very steeply on the final descent and care was needed on the dry and worn path.

108_5794 - Copy.JPG
Homeward bound

108_5799 - Copy.JPG
Souther Fell, The Tongue and River Glenderamackin

108_5798 - Copy.JPG
The steep descent to Mungrisdale

A final hike of a mile or so along the road brought us back to the car. A very enjoyable little jaunt.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Bowscale Fell

Postby tango » Tue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Some excellent photos there.. I did Bowscale back in September, driving rain & 1 hell of a wind!! I had to crawl to reach the shelter stones! I was going to sack it then but the wind let up a little unlike the rain and i completed my walk.. but that was some wind for September!! :shock:
tango

Postby Crawler » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 am

It's years since I've been to Bowscale Tarn - must go back. That path up from the tarn doesn't get used a lot I don't think. Great to see your report - where you came down is horribly loose isn't it!
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Great pics MiniRamo and the best username I've seen yet :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland