walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mt. Timpanogos, UT-USA

Mt. Timpanogos, UT-USA

Postby rvrscum » Sat May 21, 2011 3:30 am

Date walked: 06/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The winter months find me in Park City, UT. It is a winter-sports destination for the Rocky Mountain west, and they say the summers are nice too. I've never been there in the sumer, but here's what we do in the winter.

Wake up is 2am. The drive is 45 minutes to the trailhead, setting at an elevation above 6000'. We begin in the dark towards our objective, the S summit of Timp. It is a long climb, varying from skis with climbing skins, to the addition of ski crampons, ultimately to boot crampons and axes. Watching the sun come up:

This is part of a 500m+ climb, all around 40* pitch. Boot-packing by this point:

After that climb, we reached the vast Timp Basin:

After another punishing ascent, we reached the summit ridge, above 11,000. Moving south the views were superb:

Some exposure here too:

We skied down a corn surface, basically frozen snow that is rapidly heated into a surface much like a field of ball-bearings:

Timp is the 2nd highest peak in the Wasatch Range of the Rockies (11, 722') Our descent was a bit over 5000' and ended at Redford's Sundance resort. A look back up from the bottom, we started on the left high point:

In a month I'll be in Skye having some fun!!!
rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Mt. Timpanogos, UT-USA

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 8:43 am

Fantastic stuff rvrscum, great report and pics from my favourite US state....brings back memories and leaves me longing to return.

Hope you have a great time on Skye - thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby hollyshills » Sat May 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Absolutely love pic no 3, and the rest aren't to bad either. I am kind of lost for words as to how I felt when I saw your report so all I will say is you lucky lucky b.....d. I hope that you have seen Monty Pithons Life Of Brian and understand what I mean. :D
hollyshills

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   

Postby rvrscum » Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 am

hollyshills wrote:Absolutely love pic no 3, and the rest aren't to bad either. I am kind of lost for words as to how I felt when I saw your report so all I will say is you lucky lucky b.....d. I hope that you have seen Monty Pithons Life Of Brian and understand what I mean. :D

Actually I am not familiar with that quote, but I guess I will be now :)
rvrscum

Postby rvrscum » Sun May 22, 2011 3:43 am

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic stuff rvrscum, great report and pics from my favourite US state....brings back memories and leaves me longing to return.

Hope you have a great time on Skye - thanks for posting :D

Yep Utah is an incredible slice of America, especially for someone who likes the outdoors. I've only been in Utah during the winter months, but then my summer gig isn't too bad either in West Virginia.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1395

Looking forward to Skye and doing some whitewater and sea kayaking while I'm over there.
rvrscum

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland