walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lick Wash, Grand Staircase-Escalante - Utah

Lick Wash, Grand Staircase-Escalante - Utah

Postby ndhudson » Sun May 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Date walked: 22/05/2011

Distance: 17.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a lesser-known semi slot canyon in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah. Beautiful, scenic and, like most of Southern Utah's best hikes, very remote. The walls of this canyon, at it's deepest point, tower 800 feet above you and are made up of cross-bedded Navajo Sandstone. With gargantuan trees, interesting rock formations and a few petroglyphs, this jaunt makes for a fabulous spring day hike. (summer is quite hot!)

IMG_4025.jpg
Entering the canyon, it doesn't look like much, but just wait...
IMG_4032.jpg
After dropping into the wash the canyon quickly begins to narrow.
IMG_4026.jpg
IMG_4058.jpg
These narrow canyons can be dangerous during wetter times of the year when they fill with water (flash floods).
IMG_4034.jpg
A little perspective is needed here. One of the many HUGE Poderosa Pine trees scattered in this area.
IMG_4192.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg
If you look closely you can see a faint petroglyph here.
IMG_4214.jpg
IMG_4059.jpg
The canyon begins to open back up...
IMG_4081.jpg
The rest of the way the wash leads down a couple more miles where it let's out at the White Cliffs and No Mans Mesa.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Lick Wash, Grand Staircase-Escalante - Utah

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 am

That looks great. Surprising those trees can get enough light to start growing down there.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ndhudson » Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 pm

No doubt Paul! All the life in these canyons are terribly hardy.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Another memory jogger for me ND - I visited Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument but missed this hike (went to Calf Creek Falls) at the time I was restricted due to injury and travelled around the states looking at beautiful mountains unable to walk up them :cry: I think the most strenuous hike I did during that time was to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, though it may be short - it was oh so sweet :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ndhudson » Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another memory jogger for me ND - I visited Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument but missed this hike (went to Calf Creek Falls) at the time I was restricted due to injury and travelled around the states looking at beautiful mountains unable to walk up them :cry: I think the most strenuous hike I did during that time was to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, though it may be short - it was oh so sweet :D

Oh what torture, ChrisW! :o To look, but not to conquer!!! It must have been very frustrating indeed. Though, from your Lochnagar report, it looks as though you have recovered nicely. Fantastic! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland