walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Frary Peak, Antelope Island - Utah

Frary Peak, Antelope Island - Utah

Postby ndhudson » Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 am

Date walked: 15/05/2011

Distance: 9.6 km

Ascent: 640m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At only 6,595 ft., Frary peak certainly isn't tall by Utah standards, but it's unusual beauty is very underrated. It is the highest peak on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. The high-desert grassland is home to Pronghorn Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, American Bison, Porcupine, Badger, Coyote, Bobcat, and too many species of birds to mention here. The bison frequently greet tired hikers returning to their vehicles. Though a bit steep at times, once on the summit, this hike gives you a vast uninterrupted view of the northern stretch of the Wasatch mountain range. Though the entire range is not visible, on a clear day you can easily see 100 miles both to the north and to the south.

IMG_4342.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg
Looking back to the north east...the far left snow-capped peaks belong to Utah's Ben Lomond Mountain in Davis County - elev. 9,712 ft
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg
Looking to the south east...the Salt Lake valley portion of the Wasatch mountains. The tallest peak in this view is just right of center - Lone Peak 11,253 feet elev.
IMG_4314.jpg
A rock scramble along the ridge or goat trail to the summit...your choice!
IMG_4328.jpg
Looking to the southwest you can see the northern tip of the Oquirrh Mountains.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Frary Peak, Antelope Island - Utah

Postby HighlandSC » Mon May 23, 2011 9:40 am

Very nice 8) Always good to see mountains in other parts of the world. The scrambly ridge looks nice :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ndhudson » Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks! Utah is a mecca for all kinds of outdoor adventure. Put it on your list of places to visit someday. :wink:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Tue May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Actually, it is :D Don't have specific plans yet, but I'm moving to WV next year (2000 miles from Utah!) but we have plans to go all over America, especially West. It's good to see some reports from you, and also good to see how much you love Scotland. I met my wife on here, she's American from DC(see here), she also loves Scotland and has visited regularly every year, usually twice a year.

There's a few Americans on here actually:
My wife Michelle
Stretch
rvrscum
ChrisW (not American but lived all over the states and many good reports in his diary)

Can you recommend any good American walking/mountaineering websites/forums like this I could look to join?
HighlandSC

Postby ndhudson » Tue May 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Very cool! West Virginia is beautiful too. Though, I think I was 8 the last time I was there. :D

Unfortunately, I have not found a site as good as this one for Utah. My boyfriend and I are pretty taken with how user-friendly this site is. Alas, this is the site that we use fairly often to gauge hikes http://www.utah.com/hike/ we also use http://www.summitpost.org/ it's better for climbing and mountaineering.

If you find your way out west (and I'm sure you will :wink: ), shoot me a note. We would love to recomend an adventure for you and your wife. My boyfriend does a lot of climbing, canyoneering and mountaineering and loves to show off this great state. If you're up for it, we'd be happy to meet up with you both and show you around.

Good luck with the move... that's a big one!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby Frogwell » Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Great report! Last time I was on Antelope Island the weather was not so great - I did hassle the bison though.

Sorry for the picture quality - I took these pictures on 5th January 2000 - back when digital cameras were actually 5 foot square boxes with low paid workers inside actually painting what you pointed at.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 pm

ndhudson wrote:Very cool! West Virginia is beautiful too. Though, I think I was 8 the last time I was there. :D

Unfortunately, I have not found a site as good as this one for Utah. My boyfriend and I are pretty taken with how user-friendly this site is. Alas, this is the site that we use fairly often to gauge hikes http://www.utah.com/hike/ we also use http://www.summitpost.org/ it's better for climbing and mountaineering.

If you find your way out west (and I'm sure you will :wink: ), shoot me a note. We would love to recomend an adventure for you and your wife. My boyfriend does a lot of climbing, canyoneering and mountaineering and loves to show off this great state. If you're up for it, we'd be happy to meet up with you both and show you around.

Good luck with the move... that's a big one!

Cool thanks, I'll check out those websites, and thanks for the meeting offer- if we hatch a plan to visit Utah we'll give you a shout 8)
HighlandSC

Postby rvrscum » Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I hiked up to Frary last year on a beautiful day in April. When I go to the trailhead, I realised I left my camera in Park City, some 50 miles away. I had planned on filing a TR on this site of the trip too. Was going to redo the hike this year, but the snow was epic for the end of the year, so I spent my time ski touring. Because of the treeless and windswept nature of the range, I was reminded to a degree of many of the walks I've done in Skye. Good work ndhudson. I love Antelope Island, such a cool place.

Highland SC, hope to see you and Michelle down this way at some point. I'm 5 hrs or so from DC in southern WV, and work in a fantastic area for whitewater. I'll be in Scotland from June 9th-27th. I'm devoting a lot of time to paddling, but will do some hill-walks as well. First week I'll be up near Aviemore for whitewater, the second half of the trip I will be staying on Skye. Excited to say the least.
rvrscum

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue May 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Yep, we'll be visiting for sure :D Just the other day I was revisting your old reports from New River. Looks great and I've love to visit.....maybe even try some rafting, etc 8)

Hope you have a great time in Aviewmore and Skye- I bet you are looking forward to it! I'll put a request in for some sunshine for you.... :D
HighlandSC

Postby ndhudson » Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

rvrscum wrote:Was going to redo the hike this year, but the snow was epic for the end of the year, so I spent my time ski touring. Because of the treeless and windswept nature of the range, I was reminded to a degree of many of the walks I've done in Skye.

Funny, I had the same thought ...this hike (at least in spring when it's all green) reminded me of Skye as well! Also, the snow around here this year is still epic!!! We are at 300% - 380% of normal levels as of yesterday and just got 20 more inches a week ago up high...bracing for flooding this summer. But nothing like the tragedies that are taking place in the middle of the country right now (as I'm sure you know).
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ndhudson » Wed May 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Frogwell wrote:Sorry for the picture quality - I took these pictures on 5th January 2000 - back when digital cameras were actually 5 foot square boxes with low paid workers inside actually painting what you pointed at.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Great stuff ND - leaves me missing Utah though, it really is the outdoor enthusiasts dream.....I'll be back :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland