walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Southern Black Mountains from Abergavenny

Southern Black Mountains from Abergavenny

Postby trickeyja » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen Allt-mawr, Pen Cerrig-calch

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 8

Distance: 30.6 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a very enjoyable walk yesterday on the Black Mountains from Abergavenny. In need of an escape from uni revision, I got the train to Abergavenny and set off into the hills. There is something really special about the Black Mountains. They are serenely peaceful and in the most part much less frequently visited than the neighbouring Brecon Beacons, but still have plenty of character with deep, sweeping valleys and rounded hilltops. First of all I set off over Deri, on the eastern flank of the Sugarloaf, a c.400m high ridge with fine views to the east. A speedy climb over Crug Mawr then took me to the slopes of Pen Cerrig Calch, which I climbed in an unorthodox way, cutting straight up the mountainside rather than sticking to the main path. Despite the MetOffice weather forecast of dry, sunny weather, the Brecon Beacons National Park microclimate was at work ensuring heavy showers at times, but it wouldn't be Wales without the rain, would it?! At the summit of Pen Allt-Mawr I paused for lunch, where I was accosted by a very tame sheep and its lamb, which were after food. I gave it some ready salted Kettle Chips! Spectacular views ensued whilst skirting the western edge of the hills over Pen Gloch-y-pibwr and onto Pen Cerrig-Calch. I then descended into Crickhowell for the bus to Abergavenny. All in all an exhilarating day - see pictures below :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

View to Sugarloaf from Deri

View from NE flanks of Sugarloaf

View North(ish) from Crug Mawr

Crug Mawr trig

View from slopes of Pen Cerrig-calch/Pen Allt-mawr

Sheep in Pen Allt-mawr summit wind shelter

Pen Gloch-y-pibwr summit cairn

View from western slopes of Pen Cerrig-calch

View back to Sugarloaf

View from slopes of Pen Cerrig-calch to Crickhowell

View towards Table Mountain from slopes of Pen Cerrig-Calch
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Re: Southern Black Mountains from Abergavenny

Postby canisp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:58 pm

A beautiful set of photos trickeyja, i love the vivid colours and good contrast :D, thanks for sharing.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Nice set of pics trickeyja, I was in the Brecons on Saturday and it was very windy on the approach to Corn Du. It stayed dry all day until we were in the car on the way home but then you were out twice as long as us.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Really stunning photos, Trickey, and a pretty daunting length of walk for one day... perhaps it's a bit easier when you're still uni age!

Great stuff.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 pm

beautiful photo's - I love the one of the sheep at the summit.. helluva long walk though for one day (well for me it would be :lol: )
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trickeyja » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks everyone :)

It was an excellent escape from the usual routine. The train tickets weren't cheap, and it was too long since I'd last visited Wales, so I thought a long day's walk would make the most of it. I had visited all the hills before - the Sugarloaf several times - but last time I was on Pen Allt-mawr and Pen Cerrig-calch was on an overcast January day a few years ago, with temperatures of about 1C, gale force winds and thick fog on the summits (which cleared after I'd descended)! So a return visit was necessary to actually see the views from the ridge :) Here are a few pictures from the earlier visit:

Climbing up Pen Cerrig-calch

Looking back from Crug Mawr to Pen Allt-mawr and Pen Cerrig-calch

Crug Mawr summit

Table mountain from Crug Mawr
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland