walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Out of synch to be out of Coledale crowds

Out of synch to be out of Coledale crowds

Postby old danensian » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail, Scar Crags, Wandope

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail, Scar Crags, Wandope

Date walked: 02/06/2011

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1360m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

They say it’s all in the timing. Given the departing minibuses and remaining couple of cars at Stoneycroft in Newlands I’d got this one right.

Coledale-01.jpg
Skiddaw from above Stoneycroft in Newlands

It was getting on for 6 in the evening and the plan was to get beyond Causey Pike before stopping for the night and enjoy the sunset, solitude and sunrise up high while everyone else was down below. Then, as the sun rose (likely to be about 5), and before the rest of the world had tucked into their full English in the valley, I’d enjoy a round of the Coledale tops on my own. As the half-term crowds began to sweat their way up, I’d be on my way down.

Coledale-02.jpg
Dale Head and Hindscarth from ridge of Causey Pike

The route is obvious: on the maps, in the guides and on the ground itself. The paths are well-worn, and in places much-improved, so I’ll just let some photographs and their captions tell the tale.

Coledale-03.jpg
Summit cairn of Causey Pike - looking south east

Coledale-04.jpg
Looking back across to Causey Pike from Scar Crags

Coledale-05.jpg
A soft spot for the night on Scar Crags

Coledale-06.jpg
Sunset over Hopegill Head from Scar Crags

Coledale-07.jpg
Sunrise from Scar Crags

Coledale-08.jpg
First target for the morning - Sail

Coledale-09.jpg
Summit of Eel Crag / Crag Hill with Grassmoor in the background

Coledale-10.jpg
Grassmoor from Wandhope

Coledale-11.jpg
Sleet How ridge descending from Grisedale Pike - before the morning arrivals

Coledale-12.jpg
Grisedale Pike from Braithwaite

It’s great when a plan works; ducks in a row and all that. A couple of evening fell runners plus one man and his dog were evening visitors, then the first morning soul was at 9.00am on Hopegill Head. Even the route from Braithwaite back to the car was a delightful stroll up beyond Braithwaite Lodge and round the foot of Barrow, avoiding the all too frequent tarmac trudge at the end of the day.

Coledale-13.jpg
Path into Newlands from above Braithwaite Lodge

So, I’ll try that again. Skiddaw looks a good contender.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Out of synch to be out of Coledale crowds

Postby canisp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:20 am

A marvellous set of photos from my local hills, especially like the first two :D. For me sitting on a hill top watching the sunset is one of the greatest pleasures in life, almost magical, i envy you that one.

Steve……
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Out of synch to be out of Coledale crowds

Postby ndhudson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 am

Looks absolutely blissful!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland