walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Over the hills in Coverdale, North Yorkshire

Over the hills in Coverdale, North Yorkshire

Postby colgregg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Date walked: 09/06/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over the last couple of years I've scoured the Yorkshire Dales but have posted relatively few reports, thinking they would not interest those who head for the more dramatic areas of the country. Tonight however I'm bored so here is a route I did a couple of weeks ago which turned out to be a day of sustained interest and the desired solitude I required.
Parking up at West Scrafton in Coverdale, South of Middleham I set of up the well defined track which evenually ends up crossing the watershed of the river Cover and dropping down into Nidderdale. Immediately in sight are the crags of the low summit of Great Roova and as that was the first objective of the day I cut straight up the steep slope to its summit. It is a good view point for Lower Coverdale and has a rocky summit. The eastern side is merely a gentle slope leading to the vast moorland area of Scrafton Moor.
For the next two miles the walk follows a boundary fence over the bump of Little Haw, crossing the track I left earlier, and onto Great Haw which at 542m is the highest point reached. There are occasional boggy bits (well it is the Dales) which are easily avoidable and while the fence has replaced the old boundary stones some are still there to be seen and add interest to the trek. One I found was in good condition but looked a sad sight standing at a tilt in a bog. I hope that the current landowners can see their way to resiting it on a dry spot of land as it is obviously very old and bears the markings of long departed families. This, as with many boundary markers, has a great historical value and ought to be treated as such.
From Great Haw there is the surprising sight of two small tarns, Coverdale and Woogill. Woogill Tarn Straddles the boundary and is unusual , if the O.S. map is accurate, in that it's water feeds streams which head both North and South into Coverdale and Nidderdale. Up until now it's been plain sailing but after the tarn it's time for a bit of bogtrotting southwards to the landrover track. Fortunately it is less than half a mile away and once on it you will remain dry underfoot for the rest of the walk. By now the upper valley of Nidderdale comes into view and on turning a corner on the ever descending track there is the first sighting of Scar House Reservoir, one of two, the other being Angram above it, built by Bradford Corporation in the early 20th C. Everyone has pro/anti opinions about reservoirs but Scar house is a stunning sight. Nowadays it is a popular day trip with marked trails around both lakes and plenty space to relax by the waterside and enjoy spectacular views. The dam looks like it was designed by an architect who's ambition was to be a designer of grand castles as that is what it resembles. It is certainly a masterpiece of how to over elaborate something which is merely required to stop water flowing.
I thought that as I was here I might aswell walk up to Angram so I crossed to the South side of Scar House and walked the tarmac road to the much less elaborate Dam and reservoir which is backed by the ridge of Great Whernside's summit. This was the furthest point of the walk so having crossed the dam I followed the path to where it joins what was probably once a well used road before the tarmac ones took over. In fact it has been well used of late by the scourge of all walkers,off roaders and motorbikes, which have scoured the Nidderdale side of the track and rutted it to destruction. Fortunately there is now a temporary (should be permanent) TRO on it banning them.
The track leads straight up the hillside to a low point in the ridge between the summits of Dead Man's Hill and Little Whernside. It is an easy stroll to Dead Man's Hill where in 1728, the headless corpses of three Scottish pedlars were found murdered for their money. A local woman innkeeper and her daughter were thought responsible but no one was caught. Despite having nothing on me to make it worthwhile for any one to behead me I decided against the detour and continued down the track towards Coverdale which opened up before me. The track eventually drops to valley level but the path to West Scrafton leaves it to follow a shelf of land between the river and the craggy hillsides above me. It was an easy three mile stroll back to West Scrafton in the evening sun with beautiful views and the added bonus being alone with my own thoughts, perfect. This area might not be to everyone's liking (even me once over) but I've decided that its not always about where you go but what you get out of it that counts.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

006.JPG
Great Roova Crags

021.JPG
Looking North From Great Haw

023.JPG
Forlorn Boundary stone in need of some TLC.

026.JPG
Coverdale Tarn

031.JPG
First view of Upper Nidderdale

036.JPG
Scar House Reservoir

041.JPG
The castellated architecture of Scar House Dam

070.JPG
Angram Reservoir

074.JPG
Full length shot of Scar House Reservoir

083.JPG
Heading back into Coverdale and a great view to have for the last four miles.
Last edited by colgregg on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Over the hills in Coverdale, North Yorkshire

Postby Red Peak » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Some crackin' photos there, colgregg. It brings back memories of last year, when I did virtually all of the Dales Hewitts. But having moved on to the Welsh ones for a while, it's great to see photos of the Dales again, even the boggy bits :lol:

I love the castellated architecture at the foot of the dam - very impressive. And I agree about the old boundary stones - they're still a piece of our history, even if not many people actually get to see them, so they should be offered some protection. I know that boundary stones and milestones are often listed structures, certainly ones by the roadside or on canal towpaths are, but I'm not sure whether that stretches to include remote hill boundary stones. You see quite a few of them up on the Welsh hills, too.
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313

Postby colgregg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Red Peak Some of my Dales walks have been done it, recorded it on Memory Map, got the photos, move on but this one is high up on the must do again list. I'm down to my last 5 yorks/ howgill Hewitts. As for the boundary stones I doubt if County Hall even know half of them exist. Even members of a local archeological society were surprised when I forwarded pics of Some from Grinton Moor which is their patch. Several Reservoirs I know are "fancified" up by adding castle like structures but not to the estent of this one. You could imagine you were defending Helm's Deep standing on the turrets below.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Red Peak » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

colgregg wrote:You could imagine you were defending Helm's Deep standing on the turrets below.

Are you suggesting the inhabitants of Yorkshire resemble orcs? :lol:
I'm a Yorkshireman myself, so I'm allowed to say that :wink:

colgregg, I notice you still have Birks Fell left to do. If you get the weather, that'll be a surprisingly good little walk. I climbed it from Buckden, visiting the trig point on Firth Fell, then basically following the 'ridge' round, over Birks Fell and onto the trig point at Horse Head. I can't recall seeing anyone else on the 'ridge,' and it was surprisingly firm underfoot, as well as being a doddle to follow. Enjoy 8)
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313

Postby colgregg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 pm

I was going to add it on to my Fountains / Darnbrook walk I did last week but the weather turned. I will now do it the way you suggest. I noticed good tracks to the ridge so no need to go all the way round to Litton.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland