walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon.

Snowdon.

Postby Rekrab » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 01/07/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1021m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

5 months of living 20minutes away from Snowdon and with a lot of the surrounding peaks ticked it was time for me to do Snowdon and it's 10-odd tops but the wife wanted to come along for the first one so once again I poped the baby on my back and we headed up the tourist route for an easy day out.

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

we headed up the PYG track and made sure not to make a right at the turn off for the Crib goch.
P5240001.JPG
The start of the Pyg track

P5240004.JPG
Looking Down Llanberis Pass

The reason why it has taken 5 months to Climb snowdon is I have been waiting for a Clear but cool day.
Apparently April and may weren't dry enough for me so I found a clear and cool day on Thursday so we decided to do it.
The cloud was about and as we climbed and reached the junction for Crib Goch ( I say junction becasue the path is like a motorway) we got our first views of Llyn Llydaw and Y Lliwedd.
P5240005.JPG
Llyn Llydaw and Y Lliwedd from Bwlch y Moch

P5240008.JPG
Crib Goch Summit from Bwlch y Moch

as we got onto the new section of the path it kinda levelled out and nicely contoured around the Crib Goch eventually leading us to the bottom of the saddle.
the walk was nice and the views on this section of Y Lliwedd, the Miners track, and Llyn Llydaw were lovely.
P5240014.JPG
Y Lliwedd

P5240013.JPG
Cliffs on Y Lliwedd

P5240015.JPG
our first look at snowdon in the cloud at least the other tops had cleared so we could enjoy the views

P5240018.JPG
The Pyg track heading to the saddle

P5240020.JPG
Crib Goch summit behind us now.

once the bottom of the saddle was reached. it was 2 or 3 steep zig zags to the top of the saddle between Crib y Drysgol and Snowdon there weren't many pics taken on this section as we were just getting this steep section over with.
we did come across a good luck pole which people seemed to be sticking money into.
once the top of the saddle was reached we then were well up in the cloud and were getting passed by numerous trains!!
P5240025.JPG
The Snowdon Train from Llanberis

P5240023.JPG
Last of the views taken in as we are consumed by cloud

no more pic were taken until we reached the top and got into the Cafe!!!! a state of the art full blown cafe!!! realy bizarre thing to see so high up.
and the funny thing is half of the Cafe was with high tables for standing and the other half was picnic style tables, al the people that came up on the train used al the picnic style tables and everyone else who walked up had to stand!!!
DSC_0137.jpg
My Daughter and I in the Cafe

P5240029.JPG
Beth and Kate at trig point

we spent and hour in the Cafe eating our Packed lunches and snarling at train passengers, bought some souvenirs at the shop and headed down.
once back down to the Saddle (@1000m) the cloud was lifting and the Crib Goch could be seen and Llyn Llydaw came back into view.
The wife suggested that we head back up to take in the views from the summit but I declined and we continued to head down to the Miners track. The original plan was to leave the wife and Daughter on the top and I was gonna got and tick Y Lliwedd and Crib y Drisgol but the cloud and crowds really put me off and I just wanted to get home!!!
P5240034.JPG
Cloud lifting off of Crib goch and its ridge

P5240043.JPG
Me with Y Lliwedd

P5240042.JPG
Parking meter?

as we got further and further down the Cloud has completely off Snowdon and when we reached Glaglyn we got some lovely views of the whole of the mountain.
P5240061.JPG
Snowdon from Glaslyn

P5240059.JPG
Y Lliwedd looking very spiky now from Glaslyn

P5240048.JPG
The Crib Goch Pinniacles

after reaching Glaslyn we could hear a chopper but it wasn't the normal annoying snowdon tours chopper it was a proper RAF chopper as we watched as it lowered a mountain rescuer down into the Grib goch, then circled and then dropped a stretcher then circled again and collected some rucksacks, the stretcher and the mountain rescuer off of Crib goch.
P5240057.JPG
Mountain recsue on Crib Goch

The rest of the walk out was on a lovely road section along Llyn Llydaw looking at Moel Siabod and the Glyders.
it seems we were to early and should have had a long lie to get the views from the summit but it was good re-con for many future walks up the Wonderful mountain.
P5240069.JPG
Glyders from miners track

DSC_0152.jpg
Kate with her new Button!!

thanks for reading

MacKenzie,
Last edited by Rekrab on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: Snowdon.

Postby Crawler » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Great report on a great hill. That money post must be quite new as I've never seen it. Did you hear any more about the Crib Goch rescue?
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby colgregg » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Did the Snowdon Horseshoe a couple of years ago.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1657
I described Snowdon as a G.U.S.O. (Get Up Sod Off) summit. The loos are an advantage though. There's quite a few in the Lakes like it. If I ever do Scafell Pike I only spend a few minutes there before heading for the peace and quiet of Lingmell.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Derek T » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 am

Great report, Rekrab.

I went up the same route a few weeks ago on a glorious day and your pictures brought back great memories.

Crib Goch is the scariest thing I've seen close up. But something inside me was telling me I have to go there some day 8)
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 am

Great report, little one on trig is great pic 8)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland