walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sellagruppa, Dolomites

Sellagruppa, Dolomites

Postby blanchie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:27 am

Date walked: 25/06/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having had a taster of the via ferrata last year, I thought I'd try out another this year, on our rest day on a car tour whilst staying at Selva di Val Gardena.

Nothing prepares you for the Dolomitian spectacle as you approach the valley - its an astonishingly beautiful mix of lush green valley floors sweeping up as high as they can go to the randomly hewn vertical slabs of the mountain tops. The high meadows just could not exist in Scotland's poorer soils, but they create an almost sensual feeling to the lower level walks here. Once above these meadows however, the rock faces and scree are as shattered as anything you will find in god's country (the Highlands!), and make most of the tops out of bounds to the average hiker. In order to assist the likes of myself up to the accessible tops, the Club Alpina maintain various different degrees of via ferrata.

I had been recommended the classic Tridentina route up the Sellagruppa, but to be honest, it was far too busy and I felt under-equipped for the job without a harness. Instead I walked around and into the next valley floor, and climbed an alternative, easier ferrata onto the plateau of the Pisciadu. From here, having absorbed the spectacle of my surroundings, I launched down what I thought was going to be an easy descent on route 666. It turned out to be a long haul down to the snow slope on a ferrata with a few heart-pumping drops. This was not helped by a trio of Germans below me who, as I was observing good practice by standing still as they crossed my fall line in order not to disturb any rocks onto them, insisted on stopping for lengthy chats. I eventually overtook them when I could, only for a cascade of small rocks to come down my way from them! I scornfully looked at the rocks and did not cast them a glance. The descent down the snow slope was fun, skiing some of the time on my boots.

Its a stunning place to be if you get the chance. Enjoy the photos.

126.JPG
Sellagruppa

128.JPG
Sellaronda

129.JPG
Puez Odles

133.JPG
Passo di Gardena

136.JPG
Shall I or shan't I?

145.JPG
Peak above the ascent

152.JPG
Panorama of opposite face

157.JPG
Opposite face

161.JPG
The bridge at the top of the Tridentina ferrata

169.JPG
The Germans!

172.JPG
Snow slope down to the Passo di Gardena
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:115   

Re: Sellagruppa, Dolomites

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:33 pm

stunning photos! :shock:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland