walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

PART 2 - Bull Valley Gorge to Willis Creek

PART 2 - Bull Valley Gorge to Willis Creek

Postby ndhudson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 12

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 487m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Continuing where we left off...

By this time it was about 10:30 in the morning. It was already VERY hot and the shade was sparse.

The second leg, Sheep Creek (apporox 4.5 miles). A much wider canyon with enormous cliff face walls, large Ponderosa pine and Juniper tree groves, and a very welcome stream of water flowing the entire length of the canyon. All the trip reports we had read about this hike said that the Sheep Creek portion was very hot and had little to no shade so when we hit our turn-off and saw the small stream of water flowing from Sheep Creek we were like kids at a water park!!!! This, no doubt, was a godsend! This meant I could walk in and out of the stream and cool off whenever needed. (I wear Keen sandals for hiking in the summer) We hiked up about 2 miles and found a bit of shade for lunch. We pulled out the SPOT messenger to send the family an "ok" message and pulled out the GPS to check the stats...temperature was 102 in the shade!!! Damn hot!

SheepCreek_1.jpg
Glorious water!!!
SheepCreek_2.jpg
SheepCreek_3.jpg
SheepCreek_4.jpg
Gale at the bottom of a MONSTROUS cliff! Couldn't get the entire cliff in frame!
SheepCreek_5.jpg
SheepCreek_6.jpg
Clouds in the north...cooling things off a bit for us.

Just before we reached the next confluence where Willis Creek meets Sheep Creek, a few clouds had rolled in up north and a few claps of thunder echoed down through the canyon. We spent a little time here playing with our water purification gear. Mostly just wasting time while we waited to see if the looming clouds were going to drop anything. We wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any flash flood danger in Willis Creek (smaller slot canyon).

The third and final leg, Willis Creek (approx 4 miles) is an almost cave-like slot canyon pocked with dark dimpled walls as it goes from narrow to wide and back again throughout the entire 4 miles. The stream runs year round and flows a bit heavier than Sheep Creek. After waiting for the clouds to burn off a bit we headed into Willis Creek...

WillisCreek_1.jpg
WillisCreek_2.jpg
WillisCreek_3.jpg
WillisCreek_4.jpg

WillisCreek_6.jpg
WillisCreek_7.jpg
WillisCreek_Sundial.jpg
WillisCreek_8.jpg

As Willis Creek begins to start rising back up to the road elevation, the water tumbles over several small waterfalls and then very gently turns into what amount to a small groove in the ground.

WillisCreek_9.jpg
WillisCreek_11.jpg
Where Willis Creek Canyon begins...and where our day ends.
WillisCreek_10.jpg
Tired, but feeling fantastic!

Another Utah desert journey complete! 8)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: PART 2 - Bull Valley Gorge to Willis Creek

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Some terrific shots in those two reports, 'ND' - it just looks an entirely alien landscape. The thought of a walk that length in such heat though, can't envy that....
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ndhudson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:40 pm

poppiesrara wrote:Some terrific shots in those two reports, 'ND' - it just looks an entirely alien landscape. The thought of a walk that length in such heat though, can't envy that....

Well thank you much, poppiesrara! We're pretty acclimated to the very dry heat. But the wraps around our necks are what make it bearable...they are filled with gel pellets that, when soaked in water for 40 minutes, expand to about 10 times their size and hold moisture for about 4 days. When wrapped around your neck you stay remarkably cool. We don't hike the deserts without them! But...I must admit...the cooler temps in Scotland are one of the many reasons why I love it there!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby GarryH » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 am

What an excellent report with pictures to match,looks a fantastic place :thumbup:
Is that Indiana Jones? 2nd pic part 1 :wink:
GarryH

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 pm

GarryH wrote:What an excellent report with pictures to match,looks a fantastic place :thumbup:
Is that Indiana Jones? 2nd pic part 1 :wink:

Many thanks, Garry! Yes indeed, that is MY Indianna Jones...he saves me every time! :wink: :lol:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:12 pm

WOW WOW WOW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby john923 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Great pair of reports NDH, I love the sculpted shapes of the rocks in some of your photos.
Do the water levels mean that you can only do this hike for a short period in the year or is it more accessible than that?
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby neilmci » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Are you sure these rocks are real? It is such a different lansdscape it looks like a film set.

HAving been out in the arabian deserts and now the asian jungle, I find a buff os essential just to stop my neck from frying! Will need to find out about these gel filled ones though. They sound just the job!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby ndhudson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Cheers everyone! Glad you all enjoy our little bit of world.

john923 wrote:Great pair of reports NDH, I love the sculpted shapes of the rocks in some of your photos.
Do the water levels mean that you can only do this hike for a short period in the year or is it more accessible than that?

It really depends on the time of year and how wet of a year it has been, John. But these three canyons specifically, you can hike almost year round. Winter can be tricky because of ice and sometimes snow (makes obstacles very treacherous), and spring can pose a few more water obstacles (deep pools) if the winter was fairly heavy. The real danger in these canyons are flash floods. It can be raining 50 miles away, and within seconds the canyons can fill with a torrent of water, sweeping up trees and rocks and people in it's path. Weather reports are your best friend!!! :thumbup:

neilmci wrote:Are you sure these rocks are real? It is such a different lansdscape it looks like a film set.

HAving been out in the arabian deserts and now the asian jungle, I find a buff os essential just to stop my neck from frying! Will need to find out about these gel filled ones though. They sound just the job!

I promise, they are real, Neil! Come see for yourself. 8) Don't know how well the cool tie bandanas would work in the jungle...they work best in really dry environments...for sure the Arabian Dessert! I'd love to see that trip report! :wink:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby neilmci » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 am

Arabian deserts were for work rather than pleasure and you could never tell what would happen.

See photo for the state of the vehicle after a flash flood meant 2 river crossings just to get to work!
Attachments
DSC02883a.JPG
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby ndhudson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 am

neilmci wrote:Arabian deserts were for work rather than pleasure and you could never tell what would happen.

See photo for the state of the vehicle after a flash flood meant 2 river crossings just to get to work!

:shock: :shock: :shock: that's my kind of commute! :lol:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 pm

A fantastic continuance ND with even more stunning pics, glad I got back from my holiday before this report disappeared under a mound of others :D I look forward to even more of your exploits in the beauty of Utah :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

ChrisW wrote:A fantastic continuance ND with even more stunning pics, glad I got back from my holiday before this report disappeared under a mound of others :D I look forward to even more of your exploits in the beauty of Utah :D

More to come soon! If I may ask, Chris, where were you vacationing?
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 pm

ndhudson wrote:
ChrisW wrote:A fantastic continuance ND with even more stunning pics, glad I got back from my holiday before this report disappeared under a mound of others :D I look forward to even more of your exploits in the beauty of Utah :D

More to come soon! If I may ask, Chris, where were you vacationing?

I stayed in the UK with my 6 month old grandson as its easier whilst he is so young, 2 weeks on the North Cornwall Coast (my favourite UK location) I used to take my son there, now he takes his.....where does the time go??

Here are a couple of shots taken around the town of Bude which is where we like to stay :D

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Beautiful, Chris! Ever since my dorky fascination with the show t.v. Doc Martin, I have wanted to visit Cornwall. Sounds fantastic...now back to reality, egh? Welcome home. :lol: :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland