walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Beautiful Place on the Cleveland Way!

A Beautiful Place on the Cleveland Way!

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday my wife and I decided to travel to the North York Coast and catch some fresh sea air following a heavy previous day celebrating the wedding of our daughter. Oh >>>> Got that wrong I think it was get your self out of that chair you drank too much :(

Any way so off we went on a glorious sunny day, the pics I have taken are from Saltwick Bay which is 2 miles south of Whitby travelling towards Whitby on the Cleveland Way.

The bay is quite and beautiful and much better than the crowded beaches and streets of Whitby,, Any way see what you think :D
CIMG2839.JPG
CIMG2840.JPG
CIMG2841.JPG
Blue Sea and satwick Bay with Black nab looking south
CIMG2810.JPG
CIMG2811.JPG
Saltwick Bay. The remains of an early harbour can still be seen just above the two figures
CIMG2812.JPG
CIMG2813.JPG
CIMG2815.JPG
Black Nab, plenty of shellfish here
CIMG2817.JPG
saltwick nab with signs of old Alum spoil heaps from the old mines
CIMG2818.JPG
Towards Whitby and the Abbey
CIMG2820.JPG
The Harbour mouth
CIMG2822.JPG
CIMG2824.JPG
A concrete ship? Yes it is, not sure why it is here?
CIMG2829.JPG
I know there is a pub at the bottom of here..a couple of pints and then a wander round Whitby and the shops..Yuk!!
CIMG2829.JPG
I know there is a pub at the bottom of here..a couple of pints and then a wander round Whitby and the shops..Yuk!!
Attachments
CIMG2831.JPG
The old Whitby lifeboat, its now a tourist attraction
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Beautiful Place on the Cleveland Way!

Postby colgregg » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm

There are some great coastal areas either side of whitby.
Re the concrete boat;
Creteblock (XI) During the First World War, shortage of steel led to the construction of a number of experimental ships out of ferro-concrete (reinforced concrete). The remains of one of these ships, the tug ‘Creteblock’ now lay on Whitby Scaur. In 1927 the Creteblock was decommissioned and the hulk sat in Whitby harbour until after the Second World War, when it was towed out to sea to be intentionally sunk. On 22nd August 1948 Creteblock was towed out to sea, but instead of ending up in deep water it sank on the Scaur, where she remains to this day. Over the intervening years she has been broken up by the action of the sea and spread over a large area. A view of the starboard bow, looking aft.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Beautiful Place on the Cleveland Way!

Postby Slogger » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Nice one. We were there just two days later, slightly more overcast then. We had a trip out to sea in an old lifeboat.
Attachments
007.JPG
031.JPG
027.JPG
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland