walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cat Bells, Maiden moor, High Spy, from Nichol End

Cat Bells, Maiden moor, High Spy, from Nichol End

Postby ChrisG » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cat Bells, High Spy, Maiden Moor

Hewitts included on this walk: High Spy

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 823m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Laid in bed unable to sleep I decided the only cure for my insomnia was a good walk, so at four thirty I set off for Keswick and by six thirty I had my boots on and was ready for off. I had parked the car just outside the entrance to Nichol End marine about ten yards further up the road I picked up the Cumbria Way as it entered the woodland. I followed the clear path all the way up to the summit of Cat Bells without seeing another walker :D. I continued on only deviating from the path to take in the views over the lake from Black crag. Following the path again a left turn takes you down through the disused Rigghead Quarries. My Intention from here was to do Castle crag Before catching the boat back to the starting point, unfortunately I twisted my knee coming down through the quarries quite badly and spent the next three hours limping back to the village of Grange where a very Kind local couple gave me a lift back to the car. All in all despite the knee I had a wonderful day walking.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCN0066s.jpg
dear
Last edited by ChrisG on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Cat Bells, Maiden moor, High Spy, from Nichol End

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Looks like a nice route Chris - shame about the knee though.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ChrisG » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 pm

skuk007 wrote:Looks like a nice route Chris - shame about the knee though.

Thanks. Going to add a few pictures over the next few days. Was a great route shame a couldn't finish the complete circle. Knee is ok now thanks I don,t think there's any lasting damage :D
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Penguin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Thats a nice walk and a good cure for insomnia. Hope the knee doesn't keep you out of action for too long.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland