walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

LonePeak, Utah, USA - Outlaw Cabin

LonePeak, Utah, USA - Outlaw Cabin

Postby ndhudson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:23 am

Date walked: 31/07/2011

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 2038m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Distance: 19.3 km
Accent: 2038 m

One can only take so much of the political circus that is the US Government right now. :silent: Whilst Washington was deciding how much more of our money they should spend, Gale and I decided it was a good idea to get a little perspective. Wondering whether or not we might find a little clarity in the clouds, we thought this would be a great time for a scouting trip.

Early this fall we plan to summit Lone Peak (11,253 feet). It is one of the tallest peaks in the Wasatch Range and just happens to be in our backyard. There are three main routes up. We have chosen to use the Cherry Canyon Logging trail that spurs off from one of our evening stroll walking trails (Bonneville Shorline Trail). We thought we would scout out this trail before the big summit. The accent is a bit more steep (and starts at a lower elevation) than the more frequently used Jacobs Ladder trail. It also happens to be a bit longer by about 3 miles. Nevertheless, from the trip reports that we read, this trail sounded much more our style.

At the top of the Cherry Canyon trail, nestled in a beautiful meadow, is a very small log cabin affectionately called The Outlaw Cabin. It was built in 1960 by two local brothers and for the general use of all who happen by. This cabin provides a great base camp for hikers wanting to summit Lone Peak (about another 2.5 miles and 2,000 feet up) or for climbers who have the nerve to tackle the grand granite monoliths of the Lone Peak area. This would be our destination for the day.

It's a pretty straight forward accent...switch backs, switch backs, and more switch backs...a miniature Sherwood forest...a relentless ridge...more switch backs...a couple of very beautiful thick treed meadows with wild flowers galore...a very welcome spring with which to replenish our water...switch backs again, but around some very ominous granite formations...and then to top it all off, after a few more switch backs, one last high alpine meadow fit for any mountain man...or outlaw. ;) The rain that had been taunting us all day finally descended upon us at the cabin and got very cold very fast, so we didn't spend much time there. (HA HA! Take that, funny hiker-guy who made fun of us for carrying rain gear!) Overall, this is a challenging trail, but very easy to follow and quite well maintained. A killer workout for the back side!!!

So I will leave it to the photos now. Please excuse all of the city view photos...the first 1/2 of this trail is so steep that the pictures of the trail would have just been pointed up at the sun. :lol: To help with relation, here is a photo of the area we hiked (or what you can see of it) taken from our back deck. The red line is our approximate trail and the red arrow is our destination (out of view). The beginning of the trail is also out of view, as is Lone Peak itself...it is further east from our destination.

LonePeakArea.jpg

Off we went around 7:30 am with the hills still shadowing the valley and the skies looking a bit...Scottish!

CherryCanyon_1.jpg
Looking South across the Salt Lake Valley

CherryCanyon_2.jpg

CherryCanyon_3.jpg
Looking North along the Wasatch Front towards downtown Salt Lake

CherryCanyon_4.jpg
The very Southern most end of the Salt Lake valley

CherryCanyon_5.jpg

CherryCanyon_7.jpg

CherryCanyon_8.jpg

CherryCanyon_9.jpg

CherryCanyon_10.jpg

CherryCanyon_11.jpg

CherryCanyon_12.jpg
Wild flowers!!!

CherryCanyon_13.jpg

CherryCanyon_15.jpg

CherryCanyon_16.jpg
Looking South West into Utah Valley.

CherryCanyon_17.jpg
Bad blown-out sky photo...but, the red arrow points to our destination

CherryCanyon_18.jpg

CherryCanyon_19.jpg

CherryCanyon_20.jpg

CherryCanyon_21.jpg
Nope, no outlaws here.

Profile.JPG

Track.jpg

Washington obviously did not find their clarity, but we sure did!
Look for a trip report to the summit of Lone Peak early this fall. :)
Last edited by ndhudson on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: LonePeak, Utah, USA - Outlaw Cabin

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 am

Looks like a fine trail - good report :D

I don't suppose you know of any sites that can explain to me what grid ref/coordinates system you use you map reading and GPS in America?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby kevsbald » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Damn those hills are big!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby ndhudson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:53 pm

HighlandSC wrote:I don't suppose you know of any sites that can explain to me what grid ref/coordinates system you use you map reading and GPS in America?

In North America, the most commonly used “datum” is NAD 83. Also used are WGS 84 and UTM. We use NAD 83. UTM is what my dad likes, and swears is much more accurate for detail in small areas. Off hand, I don’t really know of a good site that explains this all – maybe Wikipedia –

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAD_83
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGS_84
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system

Which one is used depends on what the map is referenced in, or what the GPS is set to.

This may be helpful also...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Geological_Survey#Topographic_Mapping

Hope that helps! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby GarryH » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Another fascinating report,and if photo no.8 shows anything like the steepness you talk of,then it certainly is a challenging trail.Best of luck for the full summit attempt. :thumbup:
GarryH

Postby ndhudson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 pm

GarryH wrote:Another fascinating report,and if photo no.8 shows anything like the steepness you talk of,then it certainly is a challenging trail.Best of luck for the full summit attempt. :thumbup:

Thanks Garry! Had to do some downhill canyons this last weekend to give my back side a rest! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Fantastic as always ND - looks a great walk and some beautiful pics, I like the ones looking back over the city too. I've been out of the hills for ages now due to doing a little consultancy work :( but a couple more weeks and I'll be back :D

keep em coming :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

enjoyed that :D it must be great having this sort of thing "in your backyard" :mrgreen: and I thought climbing a 4,000ft hill was hard enough 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ndhudson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:05 pm

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic as always ND - looks a great walk and some beautiful pics, I like the ones looking back over the city too. I've been out of the hills for ages now due to doing a little consultancy work :( but a couple more weeks and I'll be back :D

keep em coming :D

Hi Chris :wave: I wondered if you had given up the whole "walking" thing. Ha Ha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, good thing you have work to be done, there are many who don't...we can't play all the time. :( Hope you are able to get back to the hills soon...and when you do, don't forget your camera, I need me some more fabulous Chris pics!!! :D

rockhopper wrote:enjoyed that :D it must be great having this sort of thing "in your backyard" :mrgreen: and I thought climbing a 4,000ft hill was hard enough 8)

Thanks rockhopper! I count myself lucky every day...although, I'm jealous of what you all have within a stone's throw. Grass is always greener, egh? :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland