walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Place Fell and Angle tarn

Place Fell and Angle tarn

Postby pgrizz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Date walked: 06/01/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1096m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before my friend Gavin flew back to New Zealand there was time for a walk in the Lake District; we chose Place fell with a return to Martindale via High Raise and Loadpot Hill. Best laid plans and all!!!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was early January and the tops were covered in snow but our only concern was getting out of Martindale if the weather deteriorated: couldn't get blocked in as Gavin was flying out the following day, he had left the wife to do the packing!
Off we set from Martindale Church and followed the road round to Garth Heads Farm where we followed a path up the side of Sleet fell. The weather was looking a bit iffy but ever the optomists we carried on, at least it was only mist and not snow, yet!!!
place fell, walk, 002.ORF.jpg
The path round Sleet Fell

As we continued to ascend the mist became more of a freezing mist so we were happy to reach the summit just as it began to clear a little. I left my two companions having some bait whilst I looked about for some decent photo opportunities.
place fell, walk, 008.ORF.jpg
Tony and Gavin fuelling up!!

place fell, walk, 005.ORF.jpg
Place Fell: the summit.

place fell, walk, 009.ORF.jpg
The view North West

It was cold so the decision not to hang around for too long was easy to make.
The next section was to head south to Boardale Hause and it was now looking promising weather-wise. Brother's Water was glimpsed though the mist.
place fell, walk, 013.ORF.jpg
Brother's Water through the mist

As we continued to descend the weather, and consequently the views began to improve.
place fell, walk, 018.ORF.jpg
Gavin taking a picture from Round How

Even though it was now quite pleasant the path which was icey needed care.
place fell, walk, 025.ORF.jpg
Tony and gavin descending towards Boardale Hause.

At last the weather broke and the skies cleared, the sun came out and life was rosy!!
place fell, walk, 031.ORF.jpg
The Fells around Brother's Water

place fell, walk, 035.ORF.jpg
Two ruins in a ruin

The conditions to the west were excellent giving good views of the Fairfield and Helvellyn ranges
place fell, walk, 041.ORF.jpg
Fairfield and Helvellyn

place fell, walk, 043.ORF.jpg
Gavin and Tony (not Stacey!!!)

This spell of clear, sunny weather was about 20 minutes in duration.
But we were going east to angle tarn and we could see the weather was not looking too good in that direction . Next stop a frozen Angle Tarn, one of the nicest tarns in the district.
place fell, walk, 046.ORF.jpg
Angle Tarn

Leaving angle tarn we set off for Satura Crag and High Raise but the weather was beginning to deteriorate.
place fell, walk, 050.ORF.jpg
Gray Crag

Tony,who is madly in love, found this heart shaped piece of ice. This picture is for Dianne!!
place fell, walk, 051.ORF.jpg
Love is!!

Cloud were building up as I took what was to be my last picture of the day,Hayeswater.
place fell, walk, 052.ORF.jpg
Hayeswater

Just as I was taking this the skies opened and the snow started falling heavily so a decision had to be made, continue or make an unscheduled drop into Martindale. We had now been joined by a young lady walker who was in the same quandry so a quick look at the map and a direct route off The Nabb was decided upon.
A rough descent was followed by a pleasant valley stroll back to the car.
A day of mixed weather but a good route and one I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.
The end.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

Re: Place Fell and Angle tarn

Postby colgregg » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Definitely a day of mixed fortunes, weatherwise. One advantage of the winter is getting the clarity for distance shots without the view being affected by heat haze. The snow highlights features on the mountains often not seen on Summer days.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Place Fell and Angle tarn

Postby pgrizz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am

colgregg wrote:Definitely a day of mixed fortunes, weatherwise. One advantage of the winter is getting the clarity for distance shots without the view being affected by heat haze. The snow highlights features on the mountains often not seen on Summer days.

It was a strange day as far as weather was concerned but you are right about the clarity on a cold day. I route that I recommend.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland