walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castle cragg, dale head hindscarth from grange

Castle cragg, dale head hindscarth from grange

Postby ChrisG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Castle Crag, Dale Head, Hindscarth

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, Hindscarth

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1251m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On my last visit to the lakes I hurt my knee so I came back this time to do castle crag, the one I had to miss. I headed out from Grange at six thirty in rather poor weather but nothing to dodgy. I decided to do Castle crag from a different angle which turn out to be a very scenic walk I followed the river through the woods along the path to Rosthwaite. When the woods end I turn right over the stile into a field that climbed steeply towards castle crag through the woods again then back out over the stile to join the path half way up. It was a wonderful misty day with low threatening black clouds so the view from the top was great. Then it was back down the other side to follow the path up through the old mining works and on to dale head.
DSCN0167.jpg
High hows wood

DSCN0175.jpg
path to castle crag summit

Panorama-6.jpg
panorama from castle crag

DSCN0186.jpg
down through the wall

I started up to the summit of dale head just as the weather turn bad, those threaten clouds delivered there threat and for the first time in my very short fell walking time I was walking in less than perfect conditions which felt bloody marvelous, The rain and wind got worse as I got nearer to the top but nothing to extreme, it felt good to get there I felt like I had achieved something.
DSCN0188.jpg
Stream by the path

Panorama-5.jpg
panorama from the mines

Panorama-3.jpg
panorama from dale head

Next up Hindscarth and then back down its spine. Its funny hindscarth didn't seem like a mountain till your on your way down and look back. I followed the path down with lead to a track into the village of Little town. From there it was up and over Hause gate and back down into Grange and the end of a great days walk.
DSCN0230.jpg
view from hindscarth

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by ChrisG on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Castle cragg, dale head hindscarth from grange

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Castle Crag, small but perfectly formed, glorious little hill and one of our faves :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 am

Excellent report of a nice looking circuit, reminds me of my 1st wedding anniversary which we celebrated nearby, lovely photos and fine memories for me - cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:52 am

Nice Pics Chris - really liked the panaroma's and looks like a really nice walk! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland