walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Gable from Honister Hause

Great Gable from Honister Hause

Postby Phooooey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brandreth, Fleetwith Pike, Great Gable, Green Gable, Grey Knotts

Hewitts included on this walk: Brandreth, Fleetwith Pike, Great Gable, Green Gable

Date walked: 26/08/2011

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1202m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Honister Hause - Fleetwith Pike - Green Gable - Great Gable - Brandreth - Grey Knotts - Honister Hause

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A rare Friday off and the sun was trying to raise its head so the dog and I decided it was time to tackle Great Gable again (tried it earlier in the year when both Great Gable and Kirk Fell were shrouded in cloud and you couldn't see a thing off the tops).
We took the easier route up this time (climbed from Wasdale head on Wainwright's DIRECT route in March) and captured another 4 new Wainwrights along the way !
From Honister we headed up right from the car park and hooked right up onto Fleetwith Pike from the quarry path.
From here we headed back the way we had come and off across Fleetwith Common towards the gables.
Along the way we passed a fellow walker who said he was expecting bad weather in the area by early afternoon so rather than taking the smugglers path below the gables and climbing up from the right, I took the left hand path from the fence line below Brandreth and headed up to the tarns to the left of Green Gable and up that way.
From Green Gable we dropped into Windy Gap which was quite calm for a change and headed up the scree onto Great Gable.
After a wander round the top and a spot of lunch we headed back into Windy Gap and back over Green Gable and up right from the tarns onto Brandreth and over to Grey Knotts before the descent (picked the wrong path left of the ridge beyond Grey Knotts rather than right) back to the path that we started on.
It took as long to get there from Dalton in the car than it took to walk, although I set the pace fairly high (for me anyway).
We beat the rain though as it started just as I reached the shores of Derwent on way home.
A few pics from the day below.
PICT1512.JPG
Heading up from Honister
PICT1516.JPG
View of route to Great Gable from Fleetwith Pike
PICT1518.JPG
Buttermere Valley from Fleetwith Pike
PICT1522.JPG
Approach to Gables from below Brandreth
PICT1524.JPG
Damson on Green Gable with Great Gable behind
PICT1529.JPG
Few people on Great Gable today
PICT1532.JPG
Wasdale from Great Gable
PICT1536.JPG
Green & Great Gable from Brandreth summit
PICT1540.JPG
Damson on Grey Knotts summit
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland