walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Yr Aran & Y Lliwedd

Yr Aran & Y Lliwedd

Postby Rekrab » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Y Lliwedd, Yr Aran

Date walked: 31/08/2011

Time taken: 8

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 1462m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a mate give me a lift out to the Rhyd Ddu train station , with the intention of a 2 day wild camping trip ticking about 10 tops over the 2 days.
I'd never been to this part of Wales (west of snowdon that is) and seeing all the mountains in this area had me sizing them all up.

P7070009.JPG
Y garn from Rhyd Du path

P7070008.JPG
Mynydd Mawr from Rhyyd Du path

P7070012 (2).JPG
Meol hebog, Moel yr ogof, & Moel lefn from Ryhd Du path

I started to head up the Rhyd Ddu path and Immediately saw The Welsh Highland lines old Steam train. snaking through the valley the sound was lovely. half way up the path I took some pics of the mountains west of snowdon and I also got my first look at Yr Aran.

P7070004.JPG
Welsh Highland train

P7070013 (2).JPG
Yr Arran from Junction off Rhyd Du path

the path was pretty easy and I was looking for a junction where the path splits off to the east and heads to the saddle between Snowdon and Yr Aran the path wasn't very clear and coming and going to I just kinda stopped looking for it and went cross country the vis was good any ways so I headed to the saddle. Once on the saddle
I dropped my rucksack slightly off the path so I could nip up and tick Yr Aran while atempting to save a little bit of my legs.

P7070014 (2).JPG
Yr Aran from it's saddle

P7070016 (2).JPG
Snowdon from the saddle

the walk up was steep with some scramble sections and made for a really nice walk I only saw 2 small groups of people on this hill and it was very nice to almost have the hill to myself. the views over Blaenau Ffestinog hills were brilliant and once again more hills i've not climbed so there were a lot of pictures taken.
views over to Snowdon and Y Lliwedd were also lovely.

P7070020 (2).JPG
Y Lliwedd from Yr Aran

P7070019 (2).JPG
clodwyn Du Ridge and Snowdon from Yr Aran

after nipping down to Collect my rucksack I started to make my way up the other side of the saddle to Snowdon I had no Idea that this ridge was so tough it really took it out of me the plan was to do Y Lliwedd and it's tops then double back and head up snowdon to set up camp some where near Crib y Drsgyl, but the Clogwyn Du ridge had really taken it out of me. so I decided to hit the Cafe first to re-fuel and rest my feet for a good hour before taking on Y lliwedd because I knew the Double back was going to Kick my ass.
once I hit the cafe it was like a night club sweaty and hot inside I got a warm drink and quickly went to sit outside the cloud had came down and there was no views so i just pulled out a book and chilled for an hour or so.

P7070022 (2).JPG
Heading up Clogwyn du to Snowdon

P7070023 (2).JPG
Some nice Scbamly sections but I was to tired to appreciate

P7070024 (2).JPG
Looking back to Yr Aran

at around 16:00 I left the cafe on fresh legs with the intention of Climbing Y Lliwedd and doubling back to Snowdon. I started to descend the Watkin path. Now i've Climbed 80 Munros and 30 Hewitts and loads of other hills but I have never experienced a path as s!*%^ as this. the Guide books say Steep Scree but this is hardly Scree it was a mix of loose boulders, wet grass, loose soil and steep steep steep.

P7070014.JPG
Y Lliwedd and the Watkin path from the top of the watkin path

P7070015.JPG
Clogwyn Du and Yr Aran from watkin path

P7070019.JPG
Crib Goch from Watkin Path

P7070020.JPG
Looking back to the top of the Watkin path

P7070026 (2).JPG
Hewitts to the West with the Irish sea behind.

I have never had such a hard time climbing down something ever I was working for every inch and thinking i've got to climb back up this?, by the time I had reached the saddle to Y Lliwedd my fresh legs were gone. I now had nothing in the tank and called Traveline Cymru to organise a bus and Luckily there was one in just over 2 hours so I decided to Climb Y Lliwedd and Descend to Pen-y-pass.

P7070021.JPG
Heading up Y Lliwedd now

P7070024.JPG
Moel y Dyniewyd from the Climb up Y Lliwedd

P7070026.JPG
Y Lliwedd West peak

P7070031.JPG
Y Lliwedd East peak from Y Lliwedd West peak

P7070033.JPG
Lliwedd Bach

Y Lliwedd was amazing it was very scrambly and none of this ledge to ledge scrambling that you get it was constant and soo steep that it made for a quick ascent I took some pics of the crib goch pinnacles, yr Aran and the other peaks of Y Lliwedd as I quickly bounced over them to make my bus. Y Lliwedd E and W peaks were ticked as well as Lliwedd bach before heading down. The way down wa very steep and scrambly and any time I had gained on the climb I lost on the descent the Walking stick helped a lot as a third leg and once I was on the road I quickly took off the boots, popped on the sandals and was at Pen-y-pass with 30 minutes to spare.

P7070038.JPG
Bacck down to Llyn Llydaw

I'll be making a trip for the 3 that got away!!!
P7070028 (2).JPG
the 4 that got away Moel Cynghorion, Foel goch, foel gron, & Moel Eilio

thanks for reading

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland