walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdonia: Solo Rhinogydd Traverse and Wild Camp

Snowdonia: Solo Rhinogydd Traverse and Wild Camp

Postby trickeyja » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Diffwys, Moel Ysgyfarnogod, Rhinog Fach, Rhinog Fawr, Y Llethr

Date walked: 27/08/2011

Time taken: 48

Distance: 39.2 km

Ascent: 2728m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rhinogydd Traverse Route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wild camps at:
SH638224
SH658303

This was a long hike through a very special, rugged and relatively unfrequented part of Snowdonia.

After arriving in Barmouth on the train the path led steeply onto a craggy little hill called Garn, which had fine views across the Mawddach Estuary and down to Barmouth Bridge:

I then continued along the crest of the ridge, climbing over walls where necessary until a few miles in I pitched at about 550m altitude. I originally planned to camp just below Diffwys, but I arrived later than I anticipated and in the fog decided it would be wise to pitch lower down:

After an early start, the following morning I soon reached the summit of Diffwys:

And a bit further along the ridge it became clear I wasn't the only nutter up there!

After the unremarkable summit of Y Llethr, the weather - and scenery - changed dramatically with stunning views to Llyn Hywel, below Rhinog Fach:

The descent of Rhinog Fach was rocky and very slow but I was able to follow a 'path' - or recent footprints, at least - all the way down. I refilled my water bottles from a spring at the bottom before heading up the beautifully wild slopes of Rhinog Fawr.

View back to Rhinog Fach from Rhinog Fawr:

View to Y Llethr:

The ascent of Rhinog Fawr was relatively straightforward but slow going until I reached the summit:

From the summit of Rhinog Fawr I could see across Llyn Du to the very wild and rough 'badlands' which would be the focus of the following day's walk:

View from near the top of the Roman Steps:

A little later I pitched at Llyn Morwynion, which has a wonderful wild camping spot. Truly stunning and peaceful! There was a beautiful sunset from the nearby hills, too:

The next day, after another early start I was off into the 'badlands'. The terrain was very rough, but not dangerously so, and I found the navigation simple although it would probably be a nightmare in poor visibility! Most of the time there were little bits of wall to follow and using the OS map it was possible to precisely pinpoint my location between craggy areas which were accurately marked.

My tent in the morning, at Llyn Morwynion:

Walls of Mordor?

Llyn Twr-Glas, from Craig Wion:

Wild view back to Rhinog Fawr:

A final steep climb led up the escarpment to Clip summit, before I continued over the ridge across Moel Ysgyfarnogod and Foel Penolau to Moel y Gyrafolen before heading back towards Penryhdeudraeth.

Clip summit:

View back to Craig Wion:

The other Llyn Du, below Moel Ysgyfarnogod:

Llyn Trawsfynydd from Moel Y Gyrafolen:

Stunning view from Cwm Moch:

I anticipated that the walk back to Penrhyndeudraeth would be simple, but near Nant Pasgan-Bach on the way to Yr Onen there was a fiendish footpath which was seemingly impossible to follow! I ended up falling above my knees into a bog, which was slightly scary! Eventually I regained the proper footpath and reached the little hill above Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf where I took a moody shot looking towards the Moelwyns:

Afterwards navigation and terrain was easy and I reached the Dwyryd Estuary and Penrhyndeudraeth in time for the 4pm train back to Cheltenham:

All in all a wonderful range of hills, especially if you really want to escape (I only saw about 10 people on the entire trip)! The highlight is the section from Y Llethr to Moel Ysgyfarnogod, and Llyn Hywel in particular is spectacular. 8)
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Re: Snowdonia: Solo Rhinogydd Traverse and Wild Camp

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:49 pm

What a great trip 8) . Stunning colours throughout.

I've been up Cwm Bychan and Rhinog Fawr quite a few times, but further south only once (and not on a particuarly good day either). Brilliant area, probably the roughest in Snowdonia :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Hantswalker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Great photos and a great route. Well done
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby trickeyja » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Thank you both :) It's a really interesting, remote landscape. There are some great camping spots at the many lakes in the area which I think would be worth a trip on their own (especially Llyn Du, Llyn Morwynion and Llyn Hywel).
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 am

Amazing pictures that capture perfectly the rugged lansdscapes there.
Great report and a great read !
Well done and thanks for sharing !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Great route and I like your pictures. You were lucky your weather improved after the first night. I was also a "nutter" up there on August bank holiday Monday, camping on the summit of Y Llethr, with no views in the evening or morning...just mist and rain :(
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mr_ash_37 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi

Loved your post on Arran, what type of tent is that in the pic?? Is it a Vango?

Cheers
Ash
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland