walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tour du Mont Blanc (plus detours!)

Tour du Mont Blanc (plus detours!)

Postby Wanderlust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:33 am

Date walked: 13/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I recently spent 2 weeks in The Alps for my summer holidays, and wanting to do an alpine trek, I chose the TMB.

I started from the traditional starting point of Les Houches, in the Chamonix valley. I was struggling a wee bit to begin with, took a few days to acclimatise to the warm temperatures (aswell as the altitude), also I was carrying a reasonably heavy pack (around 16-17 kgs). I just took my time and soaked up the beautiful scenery (aswell as the warm sunshine!)

Had great views of Monte Bianco from the Italian side, then experienced a bit of bad weather (some July snow!) on my way into Switzerland. On the Swiss side I took a little side-trip away from the TMB route, up to Cabane d'Orny, a true high mountain hut at the edge of the Glacier d'Orny. After over-nighting at the Cabane d'Orny, I walked up on the Glacier to the Plateau du Trient and from there spotted a do-able peak, the Pointe d'Orny (which I hadn't even picked out on my map beforehand). It was an easy walk/scramble up to the peak, and from there I was rewarded with fantastic views - was well worth the effort.

Rejoined the TMB at Relais d'Arpette, by way of the Col de la Breya, and from there I took the Fenetre d'Arpette (the toughest pass of the TMB), and then up to the Refuge at Col de Balme (enough said!!)

At Refuge Col de Balme I encountered a charming lady from the Isle of Mull, and she kept me company for the remainder of my trip (we both had the same plans anyway). We took a side-trip from the TMB and made it up to the summit of Mont Buet, at 3096 metres not an high mountian by alpine standards, but the highest one in it's group, and a good walk up from Refuge de la Pierre a Berard. Was a shame that we didn't get good views from the summit though.

Our next stop was the Chalet du Lac Blanc, and a good choice that turned out to be - the best hut on the trek, lovely dorms, hot showers, delicious food and views to die for. Stayed 2 nights in this idyllic setting, and took a light-pack day up to Lacs Noirs - amonsgt the Aiguilles Rouges, with plenty of Ibex for company!

For the last few days of my trek I had magnificent views of Mont Blanc and the soaring peaks of the Mont Blanc massif. Stayed high up on my last night there at the Refugr Bel Lachat, was well worth it to see the evening glow and the morning light on the mountains. All that was required of me from here was the final descent to Les Houches, where I bade a fond farewell to my friend from Mull.

To sum it up, the TMB is a good trek, but doing those side trips really made it something special for me.

Here's a link to my my photos from this trek http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=93216&id=652012380&l=825d028f0a
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc (plus detours!)

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 am

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.
foggieclimber

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Yes, some good pics... I've a friend who did this a few years ago and he really rated it.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby yokehead » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I very much enjoyed your pics, well done on a great outing.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby docnidhi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 pm

hi, thoroughly enjoyed the photos and the report. i'm planning to TBM next summer. any advice?
i have two queries,
1. how did you get to Les Houches
2. how much did it cost you at the fefuge with dinner and bf.
thanks in advance
cheers
docnidhi
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:2
Islands:47

Postby houdi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Truly awesome pics and I am insanely jealous. I would love to do some walking in the alps but, unfortunately, it isn't an option for me at the moment. You are a very lucky person.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Wow, superb pics, especially the composition on the last one :lol: IS IT UNOPENED :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Wanderlust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:16 pm

susanmyatt wrote:Wow, superb pics, especially the composition on the last one :lol: IS IT UNOPENED :lol:

Not for long, it wasn't :lol: there's nothing quite like a few post trek beers, I supped a few in Les Houches and bought some bottles from the supermarket for the journey back to Geneva airport.

I do an hut-to-hut tour in the Alps every summer, did the Zillertal Alps this year, will put some pics on my facebook page and post a link in this forum.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hya Mr Lust

It wasn't long ago since I was looking into this area, it looks so lovely and I see from your pictures I must go and visit. I've put you on my Facebook for all my friends to see... :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:39 am

It looks to have been a fantastic trip. I can't see myself getting the green light to do a trip such as this anytime soon and at 55 time is running out. However I have seen the high alps as a "tourist" using the cable cars and trains (mont Blanc, Jungfrau Zermatt etc) and while it's not everyone's preferred method they provide breathtaking views and memorable days. The high alps ought to be on everybody's to do list, I am thankful that I can say I've been and seen and relieved that my wife has no love for the likes of Benidorm!!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland