walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Illhorn, Valais, Switzerland

The Illhorn, Valais, Switzerland

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Date walked: 25/09/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A family holiday last week gave me the opportunity to do a days' walking so I opted for the Illhorn which at 8910ft overlooks the Rhone valley in the Valais region of Switzerland. By Alpine standards it's a minnow but despite it's stature provides stunning views and has a summit which is well enough detached from surrounding tops to give a real sense of achievement on reaching it.
The walk starts from Chandolin in the Val d'Anniviers, South of Sierre. As it is a popular skiing area the slopes are well marked with easy tracks and it's merely a case of following the signposts as the track zig zags it's way up to Le Tsape, a restaurant at the top of the ski lift. Turning off the track shortly before it brought me onto "proper" walking paths for the short steep climb to the Pas d'Illsee and a first view of the small lake (dammed to form a reservoir) the pass is named after. The path turns north up the broad ridge for the final 1000ft or so ascent to the summit and the dramatic declavities of it's Northern face with a birds eye view of the Illgraben, a gigantic crater caused by the collapse of a mountain. There are sensational panoramic views of the mountains of the Bernese Oberland to the North and the Rhone valley more than 7000ft below. Having spent a mind boggling hour or so on the summit soaking in the views of countless peaks I made my way down to the pas and followed the ridge over two minor summits as far as Lac Noir, a small mountain lake hidden away in the shadow of the Shwartzhorn. The track back to Chandolin was well marked and merely a case of following it though the upland pastures back to the village.
Switzerland 2011 172.JPG
above the tree line and a view to the head of the Val D'Anniviers

Switzerland 2011 180.JPG
Once off the track a "proper" mountain path leads up to the Pas D'Illsee

Switzerland 2011 181.JPG
The Illsee backed by the Shwartzhorn (Centre) and Rothhorn(Right)

Switzerland 2011 183.JPG
Pas D'Illsee from the ascent to the summit.

Switzerland 2011 187.JPG
The summit of the Illhorn complete with signpost, cross and sturdy bench.

Switzerland 2011 188.JPG
The Illgraben from the Illhorn. In times past the mountain has collapsed leaving this massive cliff

Switzerland 2011 192.JPG
View to the Bernese Oberland from the top.

Switzerland 2011 193.JPG
View to the Bernese Oberland and the Kanderstag summits from the top

Switzerland 2011 208.JPG
The ridge path and minor summit on the way to Lac Noir with the Rothhorn behind

Switzerland 2011 214.JPG
Lac Noir. Set in a natural bowl beneath the Rothhorn and the Schwartzhorn it is a great resting place for peace and quiet
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Illhorn, Valais, Switzerland

Postby taylor94 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Beautiful love the photos looks like pro calender shots.

I would love to do them one day.
taylor94

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 pm

taylor94 wrote:Beautiful love the photos looks like pro calender shots.

I would love to do them one day.

Thanks. Having done this one, which was far less strenuous than many a Lake District walk, I would love to return and explore more. This typifies how rewarding the Alps can be without having to don crampons, ice axe and ropes.
I am pleased with the photos. One of my favs (below) was taken from the top of the Grande Dixence Dam taken one evening after an "interesting" ride up the valley road with it's many twists and turns.
Switzerland 2011 141.JPG
From the top of the dam. The Grande Dixence Dam is a concrete gravity dam on the Dixence River at the head of the Val d'Hérens in the canton of Valais in Switzerland. At 285 m (935 ft) high, it is the tallest gravity dam in the world
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby taylor94 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Out of interest do you live in switzerland?
taylor94

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:37 pm

taylor94 wrote:Out of interest do you live in switzerland?

No I just holidayed there last week and stayed in the same place three years ago. I've always wanted to head off into the hills while in Austria/Switzerland in the past but never got round to it.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby taylor94 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Was going to say I was planning on going on a mountaineering holiday you could have given me and my partner a tour round the mountain if you were able lol
taylor94

Postby pgrizz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 pm

A fine set of pictures Colin, it certainly looks a grand walk.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland