walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Narrow Escape – Flash Flood - Zion, Utah, USA

Narrow Escape – Flash Flood - Zion, Utah, USA

Postby ndhudson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Date walked: 28/09/2011

Time taken: 12

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 550m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all! :wave: This TR is on behalf of my better half, Gale. I was not present for this adventure...probably a good thing. ;)

Behunin Canyon is another great technical canyon. It runs behind the Majestic and Cathedral Mountains within Zion National Park and drains into the Emerald Pools which is where the hike ends. There are multiple big rappels with many in the 100 to165 foot range.

On this sunny morning, Gale and 4 other men from the annual ACA Rendezvous (American Canyoneering Association) being held just outside Zion that week, set out early for what would become an amazing learning experience. The weather report that day gave the area a 20% chance of rain. After a review of the weather and a look at the morning sky, the eager group took a vote. It was unanimous. They would go for it.

They caught the early shuttle to the trailhead (passenger vehicles are not allowed in this area of the Park). By 6:30 AM they were on the trail and well on their way. In less than an hour, they passed the area known as Angels Landing, quite a popular destination in its own right, and continued up the long ascent. After a few hours of hiking, they reached the drop in point. The sky showed a few more clouds but was clear over the canyon’s drainage area. Nothing looked too threatening so the decision was made to gear up, drop in and begin their Behunin adventure.

About half way through the canyon, all were enjoying the numerous rappels, canyon obstacles and the cool sandstone when a little grey cloud rolled over just down canyon. The few raindrops that fell got everyone’s attention. The group decided to skip lunch and press on with one eye to the sky. Over the next couple of hours, the sky seemed to clear a little, but all were a wee bit nervous because the limited view in the narrow slot made it impossible to know what was happening in the wider skies.

At the second-to-last rappel, an angry little grey cloud rolled over and it began to sprinkle. The rain appeared to be coming several hours earlier than in previous days. When they attempted to pull the rope, it wouldn’t budge! :shock: :shock: :shock: It was stuck! Not good. Just as they were about to abandon this rope and continue on with their backup rope, the recoil of one last pull affected its release. It was free. What a relief. :shifty:

The group scurried the short distance to the final rappel, each searching the sheer canyon walls for potential refuge – just in case. This particular section of the canyon seemed to offer little of it. In no time at all, the final rappel into the safety of the broader canyon below was rigged and ready to go. Gale was second-to-last off the ledge. He impatiently waited his turn as he watched the surrounding rock walls of the canyon slowly begin to weep. The water in the narrow stream bed turned from a series of drips to a small but steady trickle. Just as the last man came down the rope, the skies opened up! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The group moved to the shelter of a rock shelf and in just a very few minutes, the trickle coming over the falls turned to a steady stream. And then it came...flash!!! Gale said it sounded like a freight train coming down the canyon. The torrential wall of water came crashing through and over the 165' cliff that they had just rappelled! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

The trip was expected to take 8 to 9 hours. But after waiting over two hours for the water to subside in order to cross the creek and meet back up with the trail out, the entire hike ended up taking 12 hours. Everyone was very wet and a bit cold, but all ok. This was the first flash flood any of these Canyoneers had ever been party to. It probably won't be the last, but as Gale said...at least now they know what to expect.

Lessons learned? Flash floods happen. They can happen quickly and are awesome in their power!

Check out the video of the flashflood after all the photos... (sorry for the quality)

Behunin_1.jpg
Overlook of Zion Canyon
Behunin_2.jpg
Angels Landing
Behunin_3.jpg
The long ascent to Behunin Canyon entrance
Behunin_4.jpg
Drop in point
Behunin_5.jpg
The adventure begins...
Behunin_6.jpg
Pot holes
Behunin_7.jpg
Into the breach
Behunin_8.jpg
One of the first rappels
Behunin_9.jpg
Gale and Dave gearing up
Behunin_10.jpg
Behunin_11.jpg
Behunin_12.jpg
Top of the second to the last rappel...skies still blue
Behunin_14.jpg
A few minute later, same rappel, rain begins to fall
Behunin_13.jpg
Gale trying to pull the rope in a hurry to beat the water
Behunin_15.jpg
View from the top of the last rappel - rocks are getting saturated and water is beginning to flow
Behunin_16.jpg
Last man down the rope - rock walls weeping
Behunin_17.jpg
FLASH!!!!!!!!!!! Thats where they just rappelled down from!!!
Behunin_18.jpg
Flood waters subsiding hours after the rain stopped
Behunin_19.jpg
Waterfalls down canyon
Behunin_20.jpg
Flood finally over - time to cross the water
Behunin_21.jpg
The wet slog out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBbbV3905Y

Till next time! :thumbup:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Narrow Escape – Flash Flood - Zion, Utah, USA

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Oh Nicole what a report!!

Gale is certainly working his way through his nine lives :shock:

Please don't encourage him to do anything else too mad, he has to be in one piece for Kintail :lol:

Fabulous photographs are usual- love them :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby taylor94 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Loving the photos out of all the places in the world I would like to go to climb (that is a lot of places) This is one I would put at the top of my list, this is photography heaven lol
taylor94

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 pm

wow - that is so scary ND, every time I think of Slot Canyons I am visited by the memory of the Antelope Canyon disaster that happened as we arrived to live in the US in 2007 - 11 dead :shock: it has left me with a very healthy respect of slots, though I have to say they are incredibly beautiful places.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Very frightening experience, just glad that Gale and the others made it ok

You would get a fright too when you heard about it Nicole :(
morag1

Postby ndhudson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 am

pollyh33 wrote:Oh Nicole what a report!!

Gale is certainly working his way through his nine lives :shock:
Please don't encourage him to do anything else too mad, he has to be in one piece for Kintail :lol:

Thanks Polly! He's got at least 6 or 7 lives left! ;) And no doubt, I simply won't allow any mishaps before Kintail...nor during Kintail, for that matter. :lol: Glad to see you are coming...looking forward to meeting you.

taylor94 wrote:Loving the photos out of all the places in the world I would like to go to climb (that is a lot of places) This is one I would put at the top of my list, this is photography heaven lol

Hi Taylor. :wave: A visit to Utah is a must for any hiker/nature-lover...definitely give us a visit whenever possible. ;) And yes, indeed...a photographer's playground...I just wish I was a photographer. :lol: ;)

ChrisW wrote:wow - that is so scary ND, every time I think of Slot Canyons I am visited by the memory of the Antelope Canyon disaster that happened as we arrived to live in the US in 2007 - 11 dead :shock: it has left me with a very healthy respect of slots, though I have to say they are incredibly beautiful places.

Wise man Chris, a healthy respect is what keeps you alive!

morag1 wrote:Very frightening experience, just glad that Gale and the others made it ok
You would get a fright too when you heard about it Nicole :(

Thank you for the concern, Morag. I count myself lucky that Gale even told me it happened. All the other guys (except 1) weren't planning on telling their wives. A lot of what Gale does scares me, but it's what makes him a happy man and I can't deny him that. He also happens to be one of the most safety conscious people I know...you should see his survival gear! :shock: :lol:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Great report of an amazing day out, just glad yer man is ok. Maybe starting his acclimatization a tad early :lol:
Stay safe
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby kinley » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Happy to stick to our nice friendly terrain over here :D

Still - sounds like a group of well-prepared individuals.

Love the photos of the terrain - we don't have much of that kind of scalpel-cut canyon landscape here. H2O is the most powerful substance on the planet in the long run.

Cheers - you persuaded me to post outside Scotland for only the fifth time. :lol:
kinley

Postby ndhudson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 am

MarilynMunro wrote:Maybe starting his acclimatization a tad early :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kinley wrote:Happy to stick to our nice friendly terrain over here :D

Still - sounds like a group of well-prepared individuals.

Love the photos of the terrain - we don't have much of that kind of scalpel-cut canyon landscape here. H2O is the most powerful substance on the planet in the long run.

Cheers - you persuaded me to post outside Scotland for only the fifth time. :lol:

I can't blame you Kinley...your "friendly" terrain would keep me satisfied for lifetime.
Honored to have coaxed a comment out of you. ;)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Great report and comments - lot's of excitement and a good giggle! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby ndhudson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:45 am

Bod wrote:Great report and comments - lot's of excitement and a good giggle! :D

Thanks Bod, we try! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland