walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Troutbeck Round

Troutbeck Round

Postby Phooooey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Froswick, Ill Bell, Sallows, Sour Howes, Troutbeck Tongue, Yoke

Hewitts included on this walk: Froswick, Ill Bell, Yoke

Date walked: 15/10/2011

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1125m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Troutbeck Church - Sour Howes - Sallows - Yoke - Ill Bell - Froswick - Troutbeck Tongue - Troutbeck Church

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

3 fells on the cards for today. Sour Howes, Sallows and Troutbeck Tongue were my targets but plans were changed on route round. Damson (the dog) and I set off from Troutbeck Church by initially heading right down road back towards Bowness before crossing road and heading up track behind a few houses called the Howes. From here path turns back left and up gravelled path. We took a stile to the right of a small wooded area at top of gravel path and climbed up between the boulders on grassy path to Sour Howes summit.

PICT1664.JPG
Troutbeck Tongue and Valley from route up Sour Howes

PICT1667.JPG
View back to Troutbeck Village from Sour Howes ascent

PICT1669.JPG
Windermere from Sour Howes

PICT1671.JPG
Damson on Sour Howes

Our path then turned left (north) and towards clearly visible wall round the head of the valley and up the other side to summit of Sallows. A path towards Troutbeck Tongue was now required so after consulting the map I chose a bit of a detour up Yoke and towards Ill Bell where a path was marked coming down left from the ridge and down the side of a waterfall heading directly to the Tongue. I had already climbed Yoke earlier this year as part of the Kentmere horseshoe so knew that path was good but a fair challenge. On getting up there however, I could not find the start of the path leading to waterfall descent and after wandering around a while, I changed plans yet again and pushed on over Ill Bell & Froswick to find descent path back into Troutbeck Valley.

PICT1673.JPG
Sallows from Sour Howes

PICT1675.JPG
Damson on Sallows looking forward to Yoke next

PICT1678.JPG
Ridge path

PICT1681.JPG
Kentmere Reservoir from Ill Bell

PICT1683.JPG
Head of Kentmere Valley from Froswick

PICT1684.JPG
Looking back up to Froswick from descent path

PICT1687.JPG
Descent to Troutbeck Tongue

On reaching the valley floor, I turned right and hopped up through the bracken to pick up the track leading over the top of the tongue and followed this to the summit and proceeded over the top and down and right back to the track I'd left earlier. We then crossed stream and followed the farm tracks back down the valley to and through the caravan park before climbing back to the church and car.

PICT1689.JPG
Troutbeck Tongue summit

PICT1690.JPG
Damson crossing Troutbeck Stream

PICT1691.JPG
Waterfall on path back to Troutbeck Village

I found the waterfall path from Valley floor and reflected that I probably didn't fancy coming down that anyway, as it looked extremely steep from that perspective. I'm glad I managed to finally get the Tongue conquered as I'd planned it many times before and got rained out or changed my mind for something bigger.

I reccomend this route to those fit enough as it has all the lakes has to offer bar a true edge. From open grass and boulder paths, marshy paths, gravel tracks, ridge walks with stunning views over lakes and reserviors, valley heads, streams, valley walks, waterfalls and beloved wet, swampy farm tracks.
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Troutbeck Round

Postby colgregg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Troutbeck round. So good you did it twice!! Double posting there, phooooey
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby Phooooey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Don't know how I managed that one. I've overwritten it now with my Seatallan walk. It's not saved any of the uploaded pictures either. Must have had either a problem with my machine or server last weekend. :?
Phooooey

Postby Phooooey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Blog updated and pictures added.
Phooooey

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland