walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH Wales Meetup - Snowdon via the Pyg Track/Bwlch Main Ridge

WH Wales Meetup - Snowdon via the Pyg Track/Bwlch Main Ridge

Postby Stretch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 22/10/2011

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First off, kudos to Alan for organising this past weekend. The complex at Swallow Falls was excellent and the pub quiz on both nights was a lot of fun. Also thanks to Polly for the first night's prize - we passed the bottle around as we laughed at Monty's jokes - er laughed at Monty laughing at his own jokes.

Personally, I'd never been to Wales, and with just a month to go before heading stateside for good I couldn't pass up the chance to visit north Wales, climb Snowdon, and hang out with a great group of folks. Nathan was kind enough to pick myself and Kevin up on Friday and we arrived around 8:30, just in time for a few pints before the hilarity of the pub quiz began. As part of the losing team we were handed several cans of Brains - proper Night of the Living Dead stuff if you ask me. Then the Monty Comedy Hour began and we were all treated to an unforgetable rendition of Brown-eyed Girl, or is that Cross-eye Girl, maybe One-eyed Girl, you get the point. :lol:

After breakfast the next morning a group of 11 headed up to Pen-y Pass. Upon reaching the start of the path for Crib Goch, several of us sensible folk decided that the Pyg Track looked very appealing . . . and very safe considering the high winds. So while Martin, Alan, Mackenzie, Kevin, and the fearless Monty set off to do the knife-edge ridge, Thomas, Jane, Nathan, Carol, Brian and myself went off for an easier stroll to the top of Snowdon via the Pyg Track. The wind was howling, but the views began to open up across the Snowdon horseshoe and back along the path. Above, the top of Snowdon was still in the cloud, but by the time we got to the summit, had a bite to eat, and retreated into the cafe the clouds began to lift. We warmed up and waited on the others to finish the ridge. After we had all gathered together again, Martin, Mackenzie, Kevin, and the now high-flying Monty set off to finish the horseshoe while the rest of us descended via the Bwlch main ridge. This ended up being a very enjoyable circuit, much better than a return via the Miner's path I am sure. The views down the valley were fantastic - class scenery!

Overall, I was blown away by Snowdonia. Really wish I had not waited so long to get down to Wales, but I'm thankful I got the chance to go and to climb what is a very impressive mountain. To beat all, we had clear views from the summit - a rarity on these meetups! It was good to meet some new folks as well - Andy, Jane, Kevin, Mackenzie, Brian, and Martin nice to meet you all. I'll certainly miss these events when I'm home and I hope that someday in the future I'll be in a position to join in another at some point.

Out of the 194 photos I took on Saturday, these are my favourite shots - Enjoy!

The gang - minus Monty and Kevin.jpg

The gang sets off from Pen-y Pass.jpg

Sensible Folks on the Pyg Track.jpg

Llyn Llydaw.jpg

The view back along the Pyg Track.jpg

Nathan enjoys the views across Llyn Llydaw.jpg

Nathan and Jane soak in the views.jpg

Ants marching along the Pyg Track.jpg

Classic view from the Pyg Track.jpg

Crib Goch to the left - Glaslyn below.jpg

The Pyg trackers at the summit.jpg

No train down for this bunch.jpg

Our enthusiastic Welshman - Mountainstar.jpg

Nathan was easy to keep track of all day.jpg

Looking across to Y Lliwedd.jpg

Brian, Thomas, and Alan heading down the Bwlch Main ridge.jpg

From the Bwlch Main Ridge.jpg

Stretch and Snowdon.jpg

The Bwlch Main Gang.jpg

Mining ruins from days gone by.jpg

Excellent views on our descent.jpg

Autumn in Wales - Nice!.jpg

Waterfall from the Watkin Path.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: WH Wales Meetup - Snowdon via the Pyg Track/Bwlch Main R

Postby mountainstar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Will get the video on before I read your report.....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVwb1NrDumw[/youtube]

Edit...Ok I'm back, some classic pictures there, just a sample of your nearly 200 that you took! Yes it is a very photographic mountain (not to mention the faces)
So glad you were able to come at the 11th hour, you will be surely missed when you depart back home :(
I tried to make it one of the best meets, hopefully its up there :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby monty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Nice report Stretch. Great set of photos. So clear. What a memory eh :D
monty

Postby walk aboot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Top report and photos as ever, stretch. Snowdonia is a terrific place, at least you got to see it before you head home 8) .

Er, you'll still be posting U.S. trip reports in this section until you come back and see us? You'd better be :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Looked like a great day 8) . Good to see you going down the other side - you get to see a bit more variety that way, especially as I'm guessing you'll not be back up there any time soon!

Nice to see you again, and hopefully you'll keep us up to date with any hiking you get done back home. I always love seeing a report from somewhere different :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Stretch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Cheers Malky, good seeing you as well. I'll have a lot of new gear to take home and will certainly put it to good use. Should see some reports this winter from Tennessee, North Carolina, or Virginia if the weather cooperates.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Great report Stretch :).

Good that the summit was clear for you - an hour or two earlier it was capped in cloud.
Nice to meet you.
foggieclimber

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Such an enjoyable report Stretch :D

Thanks for posting so many cracking photos, my fave is the one of you by yourself with Snowdon behind you, one for framing? :D

Misread the Pyg Trackers caption as Pyg Trotters!!! :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby calamityjane » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:07 am

That is a great report and the photos are lovely, must have been difficult to choose from so many taken. It was a great day and it was lovely to meet so many new people, hopefully I will make another meet next year :D
calamityjane
Mountaineer

Postby b-illie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am

Some excellent pics there, Stretch,thanks for sharing! Glad you made it to North Wales before you're leaving; it's great, isn't it? I know what it feels like to leave Europe behind - but sure you are taking some wonderful memories with you! :clap:
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jockstar » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:39 pm

You had a great day and I'm pleased about that! So boring that you keep producing great photos...but thats not new!!!
Looked a great crowd and so pleased that you got down to Wales. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ndhudson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Great report and pics! What a way to go out, Stretch! Now who's going to interpret Monty's jokes for Gale and I in Kintail? :lol: Oh well...Good luck on your journey back home. :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Great stuff of what looks a stunning area. Definately got to get myself to Wales. Liking all the bright colours you guys are wearing :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby nathan79 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Such an enjoyable report Stretch :D

Thanks for posting so many cracking photos, my fave is the one of you by yourself with Snowdon behind you, one for framing? :D

Misread the Pyg Trackers caption as Pyg Trotters!!! :shock:

Yeah that's a fantastic pic. Some would say that photographer deserves an award.....
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland