walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fan Brycheiniog, Picws du bannau sir gaer, Fan Hir

Fan Brycheiniog, Picws du bannau sir gaer, Fan Hir

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannau Sir Gaer - Picws Du, Fan Brycheiniog, Fan Hir

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 969m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather promised to be bright and sunny all day, so the prospect of a good days walking was on the cards. I had done part of this walk a couple of weeks ago. I had decided then to do this walk again but by a slightly different route. I Parked my car in a small pullin next to the Tafarn y Garreg pub on the A4067 at Glantawe SN849171. The path starts next to the pub carpark. Follow the path a little way cross over the foot bridge, keeping the river on your right and the fence to your left follow the path around the the farm and along the end of the sheepfold,at this point follow the sign for the beacons way. As you follow the path for 3/4 mile or so the walking is a bit tricky as the ground is covered with grass covered rocks. After that the path opens up and as you continue along you see some nice little waterfalls. A little way above the falls the path crosses the stream, we had had some heavy rain over the last couple of days and i had trouble crossing the stream. Once across the walking was easy and a clear path to follow. You now have great views looking up at Fan Hir ridge and another great little waterfall tumbling down from the ridge. Now the path takes you to Llys y fan fawr, where you take the path up the ridge to Bwlch giedd between Fan HIr and Fan Brycheiniog, from there is a short climb up to Fan Brycheiniog and from there on to Picws du- Bannau sir gaer. My walk back form Picws du was stright forward but with a steep climb back up to Fan Brycheiniog. A short break for a coffee and something to eat. It was then up and over Fan Hir with views down to the coast and the Gower peninsula and over to Pen y fan,with bright sunshine all the way. Great days walk. I have used some pics from the previous walk to complete the picture diary.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fan hir walk 025.JPG
Start of path
Fan hir walk 023.JPG
Footbridge over the tawe
Fan hir walk 024.JPG
River Tawe
Picws du walk 001.JPG
Following the path with Fan Hir in the distance
Picws du walk 002.JPG
Waterfall tumbling from the ridge
Picws du walk 004.JPG
Looking back along the path towards the start point
Picws du walk 005.JPG
Waterfall
Picws du walk 006.JPG
This is the last water fall before you cross the stream. The path crosses the stream just above it. I had trouble crossing due to heavy rain the previous couple of days.
Picws du walk 008.JPG
Fan Hir ridge and the path ahead
Picws du walk 010.JPG
Fan Hir ridge
Picws du walk 011.JPG
Llys y fan fawr
Picws du walk 012.JPG
Path leading up from the lake up onto the ridge at Bwlch giedd in between Fan Hir and Fan Brycheiniog
Picws du walk 024.JPG
Path up to Fan Brycheiniog
Picws du walk 013.JPG
Shelter on Fan Brycheiniog
Picws du walk 014.JPG
Trig point on Fan Brycheiniog
Fan hir walk 012.JPG
Cairn on fan foel
Fan hir walk 015.JPG
Stone circle
Picws du walk 016.JPG
Picws du with Llys y fan fach at its base
Picws du walk 020.JPG
Path leading up to Picws du
Picws du walk 019.JPG
Llys y fan fach from Picws du
Picws du walk 018.JPG
Cairn on Picws du
Picws du walk 027.JPG
heading down from Fan hir
Fan hir walk 021.JPG
Following the path along Fan hir
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Fan Brycheiniog, Picws du bannau sir gaer, Fan Hir

Postby john923 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

I thought I'd seen some of these pics before! Like the idea of walking along the foot of the Fan Hir ridge first - there's not many routes in the Beacons that follow the base of the steep north-facing edges.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby LDPWalker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Splendid pictures.

I walked through and over these hills when walking a large section of the Cambrian "Way" last year. The contrast between the throngs (there really were hundreds and hundreds) of people on Pen y Fan and Corn Du to the east and the emptiness of this area was amazing. Let's hope this little gem of area stays secret from the sponsored challenge groups that make the Pen y Fan area so crowded (and noisy).

Incidentally, the Cambrian Way is poor as a "route" - not signposted, non existant or blocked paths. I wouldn't recommend it.
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Yes you are right this area of the Beacons is a little gem, as is most of the park west of the A470 "shh"
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland