walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Corsican Traverse.

The Corsican Traverse.

Postby gaffr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Date walked: 08/11/2011

Distance: 190 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The 'Gr20', 'Fra li Monte' and the 'Jairvan' are all names for the same beautiful walk through the mountains on the island of Corse. When I first sent a Post to WH some time ago it was the 2007 visit to the island that was the subject. At that time I wasn't familiar with the 'put in line' button so that the sequence for the few images sent came out in the reverse order. On a recent return to the island we made connections with several of the stages of the first journey. So I send some additional images, I hope in the the correct sequence, of the fifteen day journey. For further joy of the islands delights visit the fine documentaries made by Michele Custodero on Vimeo.com/15061401 and Vimeo/29148378.
Didn't Bill Bryson say something like in A walk in the woods? .... life takes on a neat simplicity....we cease to have any worries etc.....all that is required of you is the willingness to trudge.
8  The first refuge d'ortu di a Piobbu in sight.JPG
After a roughish day, around 1,500mtrs of solid up, with well filled rucsacks, we gained the first sight of our first camping place.
9  day two leaving d'Orto di a Piobbu.JPG
Heading out for the Carozzu refuge
10  Among the rocks.JPG
Heading for Carozzu we start to be really amongst the mountains.
11 The trail to Bocca Carozzu.JPG
The trail to Bocca Carozzu.
12 near to refuge Carozzu.JPG
The amazing mountain scenery beside Carozzu.
19 Down into the cirque de la solitude.JPG
After an pleasant uphill walk from Haut Ascu you reach the edge of the great cirque.
20 Marie sliding down the chain into the Cirque de la  Solidute.JPG
On the fourth day we joined the chain gang.
22a reascending from the cirque HPIM0834.JPG
Reascending from the Cirque.
24a Early morning after Tighjettu HPIM0856.JPG
Descent to Bergeries Vallone after leaving Tighjettu refuge area.
28a Capu Tafunata and Paglia Orba from Col san Pedru.JPG
There is a fine trail from Tighjettu/Vallone below these two rocky peaks and down to Col di Viergio.
30 Bergerie at Vaccaghja.JPG
When we arrived here Sunday lunch was in full swing at Bergerie de Vaccaghja....tents,I believe are used by the guided groups that stay here....I guess that they stay erected during the season.
34b Above lac de Capitellu.JPG
This image was one of a few sent by some Belgian folks who we met en route. For me this is the most beautiful section of the entire route...but there are so many!
34 b Looking back to the breche de Capitellu.JPG
Possibly one of the finest sections of the traverse. When travelling South you descend this section the person in the image is heading North to, the now named, Bocca alle Porte.
34c ridge to Bocca a Soglia.JPG
These folks are heading North....we look back to the wee col, top left, from which we reached from refuge de manganu.
34d Bocca Renosa .JPG
Bocca Rinosa en route for the refuge at Petra Piana.
37 The  bergerie shop at Tollla.JPG
The bergerie shop at Tolla.
38 Lasagne at l'Onda.JPG
It is possible to have meals at most of the refuges.
38a  milking sheep at 5,000' in corsica.JPG
Transhumance is still practiced on the island...the gentleman who served us with pasta the night before was out next morning milking his sheep and goats for the cheese making.
41  descent from Punta Muratello.JPG
HM is well dressed up for the descent, on this cooler day, down to Vizzavona.
44a  too much drink at Vissavona.JPG
Eurolanders having fun at Vizzavona.
55a Bocca di Rapari HPIM1031.JPG
Don't let anyone tell you that the southern part is not bonny.
65 the way to Incudine..in the distance.JPG
a longish day from refuge d'Usciolu to Ref. Asinau and Monte Alcudinu, in the distance, has to be traversed to reach it.
80 The tent at the last camp at Paliri.JPG
a fine camping spot after the climb up from col de Bavella....no mountains in the South ha ha!
80a Looking out from the camping at Paliri HPIM1118.JPG
Superb area with a sniff of the salt air approaching.
83 The final breche d'Usciolu above Conca.JPG
Conca, the end of the walk, lies below....a grand journey from Calinzana in the North.
Last edited by gaffr on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   

Re: The Corsican Traverse.

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Good stuff gaffr. Looks like a stunning long distance route with plenty of interest along the way :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby soulminer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Enough to put a smile on anyones face,fine report and pics. :clap: Cheers for sharing.
soulminer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 am

Merci beaucoup :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:54
Grahams:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby davetherave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:00 pm

What can I say Gaffr. Really is a fantastic area. Sure is the best place that we have hiked in.

Your report has brought back many happy memories.

I really must get round to writing up a TR of our GR 20 adventure.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Grahams:26   Donalds:5

Postby gaffr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Hello HSC ......I still recall the day with Moray folks that we had on the Drumochter tops a couple of years ago towards the end of the winter.....I hear that you are now a resident in the US of A.

Dave...it was, in a way, a bit of a prompt for you to send a report :D .....I knew that you were all going to the island in August to savour the delights of Corse :) I did try to make contact through the internal mail thing but somehow it, maybe, didn't reach you. Look forward to seeing your report and images. I was thinking about your beardie and how he would manage. :lol: In 2007 we came across an Australian lady at Manganu refuge, with a dog, and they had come down from Calinzana so I guess that they completed the traverse....didn't meet up with them again....but that seems to be it, you see loads of folks each evening at the refuge/camping areas and during the day very few. I guess that you just need to double up on a stage and them a gap developes.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 am

gaffr wrote:Hello HSC ......I still recall the day with Moray folks that we had on the Drumochter tops a couple of years ago towards the end of the winter.....I hear that you are now a resident in the US of A.

Ah yes I remember the Drumochter day well gaffr. Not often you go hill bashing with a walking hotdog! :lol:
(http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3979)

I am indeed in the USA, a world away from the Scottish Highlands, but I'll be seeking out more mountain adventure over here......
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby gaffr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 pm

My apologies.....thought that I would add a few more images of the walk by using the 'edit thing'....fumblingly about to try to get them into the sequence of the walk :lol: .....then ran out at image 25. :D I have obviously not bothered folks with this number of images previously. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Bollox! My wife has just booked the summer holiday..... to Cornwall! :wtf:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: As someone who considers France as almost a second home and who knows most parts of the "mainland" very well, it is to my immense shame that I have never set foot on the island of Corsica. One day that will change, but it won't be summer 2012.... :evil:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby gaffr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 am

I am familiar with the difficulties of reaching the high ground on the continent when you have a young family but of course in a few years time things will be different. Scotland for the odd week-end will keep you in good shape. Mountain areas always appear much finer when the sun shines. :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 am

Cracking stuff. I spent a few weeks on Corsica about 5 years ago; never did any proper hillwalking sadly. Its a lovely place and I loved driving through the ranges.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:7   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland