walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CADAIR IDRIS

CADAIR IDRIS

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Idris - Penygadair, Craig Cwm Amarch, Mynydd Moel

Date walked: 29/08/2009

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

.Hello, hope you are all keeping well and out on the hills, yesterday we went to tackle Cadair Idris. Setting off early from home we were off and walking by 8.30am. The weather was quite nice at low level but much cooler higher up.

cadair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Near to the car park was a useful map that showed us the task ahead :D
IMG_2310.jpg
Information board
The lower walk was through a wooded area.
IMG_2212.jpg
The gang
The lower reaches are a bit of a trudge but the scenery opens up and there are a few waterfalls
IMG_2217.jpg
Plenty of steps to test the thighs
IMG_2223.jpg
Great scenery
We soon got our first view of Penygadair, the summit of Cadair Idris
IMG_2225.jpg
Cadair Idris
IMG_2227.jpg
Yours truly
There were a few people around and we got a group shot thanks to one as we crested the summit of Craig Cwm Amarch at 791 metres
IMG_2233.jpg
Towards the summit
The summit was ahead of us but the mist was dropping
IMG_2236.jpg
Way ahead
The last steep scree climb to the top
IMG_2241.jpg
Scree climb
We reached the summit of Cadair Idris, 893m,at about 11.15am and again got a group shot
IMG_2245.jpg
Cadair Idris summit
IMG_2249.jpg
Paul and Carl
On the summit was a well made hut or bothy where we had a break
IMG_2253.jpg
Carl,Paul and Sue
It was soon time to move on along the rim
IMG_2257.jpg
Along the rim
We reached the summit of Mynydd Moel, 863 metres at about 12.45pm
IMG_2267.jpg
Mynydd Moel
It was now all downhill and time to get some shots back to where we had walked
IMG_2277.jpg
Cadair Idris
IMG_2278.jpg
Tal-y-llyn lake
IMG_2279.jpg
The bowl
IMG_2298.jpg
View from a bridge
IMG_2302.jpg
Waiting for the last stretch
It was a great day and we all enjoyed our first time there, except Alan, an experienced mountain goat :lol:

Before I go a few pics from last weeks 10 miler through the lovely Shropshire countryside near Much Wenlock, the cornfields were beautiful. Take care and happy walking :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMG_2168.jpg
Shropshire
IMG_2172.jpg
Corny
IMG_2173.jpg
Croplines
IMG_2179.jpg
Breaktime
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: CADAIR IDRIS

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 pm

We demand a public enquiry. The sun is shining in some of your photos from just a few days ago :lol:

Excellent report. I doubt I'll ever get to Cadair Idris now but it's always a mountain that has appealed to me, for some reason. Great photo of the group looking down into the craggy cwm.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah - I'll agree about the public enquiry too - I got drowned today on Penyghent! and it was my only free day off this weekend! With this weather, I'm going to be glad to be back at work tomorrow.

Nice to see a report on Cadair - a great mountain. Love the pic of you all sat on the bridge. Have to say the one where you're sat on the stone pitching looks more like 'waiting for a taxi' :D

I'm copying in the map from the start of your report. When I took Richard up to show him the wonderful southern routes of Cadair, the mist was horrendous and even I got lost trying to find the descent route from Mynydd Moel and we ended up descending a scree gully between some ferocious crags. Even the ever-brave Richard was asking me what the hell we were doing going down there! Our route is shown in black on the photo - we descended down the craggy area on the right! Even the farmer at the bottom wondered where we'd come from and thought we were nuts when we told him. He said the secret is not to cross the fenceline nor deviate from it!
New Route!;-).jpg
mountain coward

Postby walk aboot » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Love your pictures, susanmyatt :)

I definitely plan to visit Cadair Idris sometime. My mum is Welsh and it's her favourite mountain.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:57 am

Love the pictures and the report Sue - looks like you had a bit of a mixed bag of weather but most of it looked sunny. I like the shot of you all sitting on the bridge, it looks like you were all enjoying the day :D

Regards,

Paul
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks for the comments, it was a great day and the change in tempreture was nothing to some of our other days, perhaps we will go back and do the other peaks nearby, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland