walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen y fan "a bit of a howler in the snow"

Pen y fan "a bit of a howler in the snow"

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen y Fan

Date walked: 15/12/2011

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.17 km

Ascent: 467m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well here we are Pen y fan again, after injuring my knee a couple of weeks ago i decided to test my knee with a stroll up Pen y fan. As i drove up the A470 heading towards the storry arms, i could see that Pen y fan and Corn du were in cloud. As we neared our destination we could see snow on Fan fawr "big smile on my face" We set out from the car park just south of the storry arms at around 10:20am. As we headed up the path the snow on the ground became thicker and the wind began to blow, as we reached the ridge at Bwlch Duwynt by Corn du the wind was howling and my walking partner Linsay had to sit down because she was almost blown off her feet. After helping her back on her feet we continued around the back of Corn du which was still shrouded in cloud as was Pen y fan the wind slackened a little and the snow got deeper. On reaching the gap between Corn du and Pen y fan the wind began howling even more, my turn to brace myself against the wind. On reaching the summit it was a quick photo and then head back down. As we headed back down it started to snow a little with the wind blowing it was like being jabbed with tiny little needles as the snow hit our faces. As we continued down the weather improved and the cloud moved off Corn du. Dispite the high wind we had a great walk. As you can see the views were a bit of "all white" :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 009.JPG
Fan Fawr
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 010.JPG
Heading up towards Corn du
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 024.JPG
Chris making snow angel
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 011.JPG
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 012.JPG
The path leading around Corn du
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 013.JPG
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 014.JPG
Linsay making snow angel
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 016.JPG
Chris looking cool "ha ha"
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 017.JPG
Linsay on the summit.
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 018.JPG
The summit
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 020.JPG
Chris on the summit.
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 021.JPG
The path leading to the summit of Pen y fan
Playing in the snow Pen y Fan 027.JPG
Corn du now free of cloud
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Pen y fan "a bit of a howler in the snow"

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 pm

great stuff WW looks like a fun walk if a little on the cool side :lol: how did the knee hold up??
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:11 am

The knee was ok just still giving me some trouble though i think its just a question of time for what ever damage i did to heal. thanks for asking. The walk was a lot of fun :D
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 am

Wow...looks like a bit of white weather there - wasn't sure whether it was a snow angel...or the knee had given up again!! :D

Good to see you back walking! Catch up soon!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland