walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy Skiddaw

Snowy Skiddaw

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:06 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Hewitts included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 14/03/2007

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Skiddaw Luminous.jpg
In March 2007 I was on a trip to the North Lakes with Richard – staying at the Coledale Inn in Braithwaite – a superb hotel/pub with real ale (for Richard) and great food and puddings (for me;-) For a nice change the tops of the major fells were caked in snow!

Richard hates snow and so went pubbing in Keswick while I set off to tackle Skiddaw, one of my favourite peaks and ideal for winter walking.
Snowdy Skiddaw fm The Coledale.jpg
Snowy Skiddaw&Cloud.jpg

I set off up the Jenkin Hill route – normally a boring route but, due to the snowy conditions, much more interesting. There wasn’t much snow until I got towards the top of the steep bit and then I hit the hard-frozen snow (not literally!). From there the path is pretty flat and you have a choice of sticking to the path or ascending Skiddaw Little Man – a very cute peak. I opted for the latter.
Lonscale Fell&Blencathra snow.jpg
Skiddaw Little Man snow.jpg
Skiddaw snow men.jpg

I didn’t have crampons with me so had to stamp quite hard on the steep slopes up Little Man but soon was on its small pointed summit admiring the view to Skiddaw himself. The descent to the col before Skiddaw is pretty steep and the left hand side of the fell excessively so – I wished I was the other side of the fence!

Soon I was on the col, back on the path and heading up the easy slope to Skiddaw’s south top. From there it is a scenic promenade across the half-mile ridge via the main summit and to the north top (for some reason I didn’t take any pics along here).

I then went back along the summit ridge and descended the back to Skiddaw House Youth Hostel and back through the gap between Lonscale Crags and Blencathra’s Blease Fell (what I call the Lonscale Gap).
Lonscale gap2.jpg
Lonscale Gap1.jpg
Lonscale Gap.jpg
I was hoping this bit wasn’t icy as it’s quite narrow and on a very steep fellside! The path through the gap takes you round the fell and back to the start of the Jenkin Hill path. Then it was back to the Coledale for some nice warming grub!
Last edited by mountain coward on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Snowy Skiddaw

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:54 am

Great reports and pics, MC, can't wait to get crampons on again, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:10 am

Think we'll need flippers before then! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby pic4186 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Just beautiful ... don't know anyone could choose a day in the pub over that! We're planning to go back to Skiddaw sometime in the next couple of months - by the Ullock Pike route you recommended. Much too early for snow though of course.
pic4186

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:52   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:47 am

I think Skiddaw is the perfect mountain in snow! I think Richard finds snow very hard work and I also think he's a little bit scared of it too! If that doesn't make him join the site and argue, I don't know what will! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland