walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pork pies in the Yorkshire Dales

Pork pies in the Yorkshire Dales

Postby JohnJoe » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Date walked: 27/12/2011

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up, got out, and wondered if we would be ok just wearing our t-shirts in this ridiculously warm weather. We then had an uneventful walk along the river - the main drama being the fear of arriving at the pub in Arncliffe after 2pm, as this is when they stop serving hot pork pies. Fortunately we just made it in time and ordered the pies in the kitchen whilst the landlord poured us some fine ale directly from a jug filled from barrels on the floor. We sat on a church pew (the drinking community in this picturesque little village seems to have faired a bit better than the church and farming communities in the last few decades) and ate our pork pies under some stuffed magpies.

SNV30329.JPG

We decided to take the challenging route back and so ascended several hundred meters up to the ridge to the north of the village and into the cloud. Visibility wasn't great and it was getting dark, but this being Yorkshire we just followed the dry-stone walls in the general direction of the car.

SNV30332.JPG

More than anything, being back in this area reminded me of my insane attempt to walk 100K in less than 30 hours a couple of years ago as part of the Oxfam TrailTreker challenge. I dropped out at 2am after walking 65k in 18 hours. I'd hobbled for about 20k with a very unpleasant pain in the tendon behind my right knee -and I still feel the twinge almost two years later :D
JohnJoe
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Pork pies in the Yorkshire Dales

Postby colgregg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:14 am

I did Birks Fell from Hubberholme a couple of months ago and it's a bloody miserable spot in mist and rain. As it was on the list (Hewitts) it had to be done though. I'm sure in decent weather it would be a pleasant amble as there are several attractive tarns along the summit plateau.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:182
Wainwrights:214   

Postby JohnJoe » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:28 pm

I've done a few walks in the area in the last few days - almost all of them in some kind of rain. Pretty miserable, as you say. I'm thinking of doing the three peaks tomorrow but I'll be hard pressed to do it in daylight hours. I only just managed it in less than 10 hours last time, and that was in summer.
JohnJoe
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby colgregg » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:43 pm

JohnJoe wrote:I've done a few walks in the area in the last few days - almost all of them in some kind of rain. Pretty miserable, as you say. I'm thinking of doing the three peaks tomorrow but I'll be hard pressed to do it in daylight hours. I only just managed it in less than 10 hours last time, and that was in summer.

I've never fancied doing the whole lot in one go. there's so many ways to vary the walks to make each hill a good day out.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:182
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland