walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Manod Mawr & it's N top

Manod Mawr & it's N top

Postby Rekrab » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Manod Mawr, Manod Mawr North Top

Date walked: 05/01/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.1 km

Ascent: 801m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

so roll on the the new year and the first new ticks of 2012!!
with me heading across the pond and not returning to wales until February I wanted to get the first ticks done before hand.
I only have the Moelwyns and the Blaenau Ffestiniog Hewitts left to do in the Snowdonia park so I though i'd get to them and head to the Manods.

I recruited every ones favorite Welshman Adrian Jones and guy Hill also wanted to come along as he lives in the area, likes his old quarries and, has been wanting to check out the Manods for a while.

we got a dry window in the weather and it would be my first trip over the Crimea pass to Blaenau. The stories were true the place is grim and dark and grey and it wasn't just because we are in winter it's apparently like this all the time!!
we collected guy at the train station and reached the first hurdle of the day; no one had a proper copy of OS18, I had Compass and GPS but no map. Guy had brought a Photocopy of his OS map and this would have to do, we were confident as the cloud base was thick and not supposed to dip below 3000ft.

so not really knowing where to start we headed for an the first disused incline we could see and took it...up.
using these Incline we gained a lot of height very fast and we foud ourselves in the quarries in no time. the wind had picked up and we were getting some of those 70MPH gusts that were expected. we stopped just before an old building to look across the valley to the Moelwyns.
PC250001.JPG
starting up our first Incline

PC250003.JPG
the first ruin we come across you can really see the amount of old slate knocking about.

as we walk up guy tells the that the workers who used to climb up here every day little over 100 years ago, achieved 96% waste with the slate that was quarried out of the mountain. One can only assume that the slate piles we were now walking on is all that waste.
PC250004.JPG
Guy and a bit of Slate

PC250005.JPG
Looking across the Valley to the Moelwyns

PC250006.JPG
Ardian heading up one of the steep inclines

after all the inclines we walked we found ourselves at a very large ruin the mountain seemed to have flattened out a bit here and we had a wee rest.
PC250007.JPG
Adrian on Plateau with slate quarry ruin behind.

it was here that we also got our first look at Manod Mawr and it's N top.
and we were a little far north so we decided to do the N top first then Manod Mawr and then down.
PC250008.JPG
Manod Mawr

PC250009.JPG
Manod Mawr N top

we continued and wanted to find a goo path leading to the N top we decided that we were to high up and had to descend a steep heathery gully which was kinda fun maybe not for the old buggers but it was good and we all survived.
we were now on a proper road and could clearly see the way to our first hill, once again the views across the valley were great.
PC250015.JPG
Moelwyns. to the right is the slope we climbed down.

PC250017.JPG
en route to Manod Mawr N top.

as we changed direction for the climb we had the wind at our backs and quickly realized how out of the wind we were in the quarries, we now now on hill side and getting blasted.
we reached to top in what seemed like 30 minutes it was an absolute doddle.
we got our pics done and had spotted Manod mawr and the route over.
PC250021.JPG
Moel Penamnen from route up Manod Mawr N top

PC250023.JPG
Manod Mawr N top spotted

PC250028.JPG
Adrian on Manod Mawr N top

the next section was the saddle over to Manod Mawr and this was a bit of a shocker for me the qurries on the S side reach all the way up to the summit of the N top! we walked off the summit and found ourselves on a slate road. all colour had been removed from this walk and everything was now dark dismal and grey. we quickly made our way along the network of roads around a wee reservoir and then onto the start of the next hill.
PC250034.JPG
a scene form the Movie "the road"

PC250035.JPG
Another Scene from the movie "the road"

PC250038.JPG
Moelwyns and Blaenau Ffestiniog

PC250039.JPG
the damage done to Manod Mawrs N Top by quarrying.

not many more pictures of the climb up Manod Mawr as the weather came in and we got pelted with 70mpg hail and rain so there was no time for whipping out the camera to take in the scenery.
I did snap a few on the way out.
PC250042.JPG
Me on Manod Mawr with Adrian Hiding in the shelter

PC250044.JPG
Looking back at Manod Mawr summit as we retreat back to the road

PC250047.JPG
Looking at Manod Mawrs N top from Manod Mawr slopes

the walk down turned dry again and we thought we'd use the inclines again for a quick descent to blaenau.
PC250050.JPG
The Inclines leading back to Blaenau

PC250056.JPG
zoomed in pic of the moelwyns

PC250057.JPG
Final look at Blaenau Ffestiniog

a strange walk really with lorries passing us at 2000ft and the wind and the grey it was just another couple ticks really.
good stretch of the legs and good to visit blaenau for the first time

thanks for reading.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: Manod Mawr & it's N top

Postby mountainstar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

A grim area in grim weather, only done these twice, once camping near to the summit of one of them...good views up high though.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby clivegrif » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for this, I haven't done these yet and was wondering how on earth people broke through all the quarry workings.

Hopefully will get there on a brighter day.

You will find the Moelwyns are much more fun

Cheers
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm

I think I might be on my own, but I really rather liked Manod Mawr... a nice rocky top with some good views (perhaps not when you climbed it, Mackenzie...!). The unworked north-west slope (cutting away from the inclines near the top) is probably a better approach/descent than that via the North Top quarry.

Good effort to get up anything at the moment, though! - it's months since I found a day with weather worth leaving the Midlands for..
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm

That's a lot of slate!!!!

Totally different from what I'm used to seeing reports :shock:

Enjoy your trip- a month off work? Jammy git! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby clivegrif » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 pm

poppiesrara wrote:Good effort to get up anything at the moment, though! - it's months since I found a day with weather worth leaving the Midlands for..

I know exactly what you mean.....
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Rekrab » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 am

jammy yes and no.
I had to work 11 months straight to get there.
our hotel shuts 1 month a year and staff have to take holidays in jan.
it's nice having the long time off but you need it!!

in manchester airport atm heading to canada!!!

ttyl
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Postby clivegrif » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Then you've clearly earned it!

Have fun in Canada - and hope to see some tales of the great outdoors when you get back.

Best wishes
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby yokehead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Great report cheers :D , very interesting stuff even with the devastation in some parts - despite this I find there's still something hugely compelling about the area.

I visited just the once, years ago when my daughter was 1, and vowed to return sometime to get on the hills and explore the old workings. A great reminder for me so it's on my list! :) Our trip was in the first week of the 'season', we did try to get up Snowdon by train but it could only go halfway because of the wind. And it rained nearly all week. Sound familiar? :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Rekrab » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Rain? what's that!

I've been in Canada since Sunday and it's not rained a drop.
my wife (who's Scottish) can't believe it.

MacKenzie.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland