walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Branstree & Selside Pike

Branstree & Selside Pike

Postby ChrisG » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Branstree, Selside Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Branstree, Selside Pike

Date walked: 07/01/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 565m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first walk of the year in not to good weather so I kept it short and simple. Having siad that knowing where I went and what was what turn at to be a little confusing. Branstree doesn,t seem to be an actual peak, on the map the word is writen in quite large letters but the actual peak seems to be called Arclecrag Pike. This is not where the cairn is it just has a marker plate in the moss, the cairn is further on and slightly lower. The tower like structure is nowhere near the top and to reach it you will need to step over the wire fence, it sits in a hollow on the way to a peak that is un-named on the map but is higher than my next target Selside Pike. To get to there you will need to climb back over the fence again to the shelter on top, from there I walked across the fell until I met up with the old road back down through the ruined sheds down onto the road. Insted of walking back along the road to the car I walked across the tarmac and through the gate with the danger sign on it and walked back along the waterside.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

_DSC0015.jpg
Cairn near top of Arclecrag Pike

_DSC0027.jpg

_DSC0034.jpg
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland