walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hallin a good day's walk

Hallin a good day's walk

Postby old danensian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hallin Fell, Steel Knotts, Wether Hill

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 755m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a six-month lay-off a leg-loosener was required. No amount of gym-work or calories burned in a spin class can keep you genuinely “hill-fit.”

Scotland was out of reach for the two days I had available, so there was a chance to chase down some of those Wainwrights that get left behind in the rush to the heights.

The huge cairn of Hallin Fell had already been glimpsed from the approach down the eastern shore of Ullswater like a beckoning finger. With the icy hairpins negotiated to reach the parking spaces by Martindale church, the “wide grass path” described by AW stretched enticingly upwards. However, the sub-zero temperature conspired against his observation that it could be “ascended comfortably in bare feet.”

The cosy heat built up in the car from the previous hundred miles or so was snatched away as the door opened: there would be no hanging around today.

Hallin-01.jpg
Ullswater, north from Hallin Fell

Hallin-02.jpg
Eastern Fells and Ullswater from Hallin Fell

Fifteen minutes up and another fifteen down was sufficient to get some warmth into the fingers and to explore the latticework of paths that connect the knolls competing for the best views up or down Ullswater.

After collecting my sack from the car, Steel Knotts and Wether Hill were the next destinations:the latter being one of those points on the High Street range that had gone untrodden despite numerous trips to either side.

I ignored a couple of tracks that headed directly up the slopes behind the church and headed off to the left, slightly downhill, towards Howtown before striking up to the right . This made a much more satisfying ascent of the ridge from toe to top and then beyond to the wide open spaces and slopes to the east.

Hallin-03.jpg
Steel Knotts

Despite being perched below the higher fells of High Street beyond, the summit of Steel Knotts is nevertheless a rewarding destination in its own right: in stark contrast to the guesswork and wandering required to find anything that marks the high point of Wether Hill.

Hallin-04.jpg
Looking west from Wether Hill

Beda Fell had initially been my final target for the day; another one of those fells that have been neglected over the years. From the top of Wether Hill I looked over and, seeing the way it linked nicely to Angletarn Pikes, decided to leave it yet again for another day.

So instead, after treading a few hundred metres of the Roman road, I struck off to the left and strode down to the head of Fusedale to end the day with a saunter along the valley and back round to the car.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Hallin a good day's walk

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

That sounds an excellent route, enjoyed your report and some great photos :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland