walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

by SusieThePensioner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Distance: 2 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby garyhortop » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Susie, Not sure about lessons just yet (as business is not as good as was) but I am thinking of investing in a new camera as mine is becomeing increasingly unreliable!! So any tips on a good mid price camera for this sort of thing would be really welcome!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am

2kn walk..............impressive,why...........................its 2km more than me in the last 10 weeks.

Nice pics by the way.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby charliebloke1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Susie,

I have to admit to having a proper jaw-dropping moment, shortly followed by an outburst of superlatives, when I scrolled down to the first picture.

Simply stunning! :clap:
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:2kn walk..............impressive,why...........................its 2km more than me in the last 10 weeks.

Nice pics by the way.
Thanks Willie. I didn't use any filters for the first three with the reflections :lol:

charliebloke1 wrote:I have to admit to having a proper jaw-dropping moment, shortly followed by an outburst of superlatives, when I scrolled down to the first picture.

Simply stunning!
Thank you, I really appreciate your comments :D

garyhortop wrote:So any tips on a good mid price camera for this sort of thing would be really welcome!

I'll send you a PM Gary :)
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Whoa !!!!! go girlfriend, loving the work, and I know you loved every minute of your trip :) :)
The first pic really floats my boat (ha ha ha)
Puts my feeble efforts in the shade.

Take care

Jim
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:loving the work

Thank you, Jim :wave:

MarilynMunro wrote:The first pic really floats my boat (ha ha ha)

Don't you mean your rigg now?? :lol: BTW that's my favourite :D

MarilynMunro wrote:Puts my feeble efforts in the shade
Too modest. Still waiting for the ones of you from your Pentlands Jaunt :wink:
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Stunning ! I'm going to have to check where you are heading in future as on ALL my trips Ullswater way (and there have been many), I've not once seen it as placid and calm as in your photos. Looks like you enjoyed your week. Damson & I are looking forward to your next foray ! :)
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Phooooey wrote:Stunning ! I'm going to have to check where you are heading in future as on ALL my trips Ullswater way (and there have been many), I've not once seen it as placid and calm as in your photos. Looks like you enjoyed your week. Damson & I are looking forward to your next foray !

Thanks Craig :D Mental note for you, we're off to Sawrey Ground, near Tarn Hows, next. Stay at the B & B there every Easter :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby Torridon_snails » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Dear Susie,

Wonderful photos, as always - so atmospheric and the reflections are amazing. This is a real tonic to look at!

We do hope you're well. We're not able to spend much time on WalkHighlands at the moment as work is still very busy, but are hoping to post another couple of reports soon. Also thinking about Torridon as I (Daniel) am preparing for a performance of a piece of music I wrote about it - really it's just a bit of context for Murdoch MacDonald's writing. It's for speaker, choir and oboe, so there's been quite a lot of work to get it printed and do some outline practice recordings etc.

With our best wishes,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:Dear Susie,

Wonderful photos, as always - so atmospheric and the reflections are amazing. This is a real tonic to look at!

We do hope you're well. We're not able to spend much time on WalkHighlands at the moment as work is still very busy, but are hoping to post another couple of reports soon. Also thinking about Torridon as I (Daniel) am preparing for a performance of a piece of music I wrote about it - really it's just a bit of context for Murdoch MacDonald's writing. It's for speaker, choir and oboe, so there's been quite a lot of work to get it printed and do some outline practice recordings etc.

With our best wishes,

Daniel and Clare.

How lovely to hear from you both again. Thank you for your kind comments. I will look forward to reading your next report as they are always extremely interesting and entertaining :)
Yes, I'm well now (touch wood) but suffered from a viral chest infection for a couple of months earlier in the year!!
The music sounds a wonderful project :D I've just had my piano tuned, after 6 years, and am playing again. When I became disabled I lost interest and didn't bother but am so pleased to have got it sorted out :D A friend (from WH) gave me the spurt to arrange for it to be tuned!! Happy days :D

Best wishes to you both.
SusieThePensioner

Postby Torridon_snails » Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:
How lovely to hear from you both again. Thank you for your kind comments. I will look forward to reading your next report as they are always extremely interesting and entertaining :)
Yes, I'm well now (touch wood) but suffered from a viral chest infection for a couple of months earlier in the year!!
The music sounds a wonderful project :D I've just had my piano tuned, after 6 years, and am playing again. When I became disabled I lost interest and didn't bother but am so pleased to have got it sorted out :D A friend (from WH) gave me the spurt to arrange for it to be tuned!! Happy days :D

Best wishes to you both.

Hi Susie,

Many thanks. It's great to hear that you're playing the piano. Piano is my (Daniel's) main occupation, although I spend quite a lot of time organising student performances (which I also accompany - that's the core of my job), and associated tuition etc.

We had a quick look at your website which looks fantastic. We hope to have a better look at it soon. It's very well organised. Ours is a bit of sprawl, it's main purpose so far being to store photos etc. for our WalkHighlands posts, and a few other bits and pieces. I might post a recording of my piece on it, but probably only a piano-version of it... It's quite a serious classical piece, but the value of it lies not in my work, but in the text, which I've taken from Murdoch MacDonald's writings on Torridon....

If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you. We also posted to Morag (Morag1) about it, but haven't been in touch with anyone else on WalkHighlands - it was only chat anyway, partly explaining why we're not spending much time on the forum... I think that there are quite a few musicians on the forum, though. OldMan, for example, and his daughter who is a professional flautist...

We look forward to your next report and amazing photos - do keep posting them!

Best wishes,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm a viola player - does that count?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun May 06, 2012 5:12 pm

mrssanta wrote:I'm a viola player - does that count?

I should think so :D We'll have to organise our own concert :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun May 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you.

That would be lovely, yes please :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Torridon_snails » Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
Torridon_snails wrote:If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you.

That would be lovely, yes please :D

Many thanks - I'll sort something as soon as this year's final recitals are done and dusted...

Thanks again for the photos!

All the best,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland